Making a sheath

That is the traditional way to make a sheath for Puuko knife which is a knife that originated in Finland. When I was on the Woodturning Cruise they had a course to make your own Puuko and sheath.

I have three Puukos of varying lengths that I used to carry in my tackle boxes when fishing. They make excellent fish cleaning knives.

That is not how I make my sheaths for the knives I build. My sheaths are built like a quiver that snugly fits around the blade and half of the handle.

That is the traditional way to make a sheath for Puuko knife which is a knife that originated in Finland. When I was on the Woodturning Cruise they had a course to make your own Puuko and sheath.

I have three Puukos of varying lengths that I used to carry in my tackle boxes when fishing. They make excellent fish cleaning knives.

That is not how I make my sheaths for the knives I build. My sheaths are built like a quiver that snugly fits around the blade and half of the handle.
Yes, you are right on point. That is the way for that kind of knife but is not commonly used elsewhere. I have never figured out how to properly use a sewing awl. Instead I pre-drill my holes and use the double needle method. works for me and makes a strong stitch.

Yes, you are right on point. That is the way for that kind of knife but is not commonly used elsewhere. I have never figured out how to properly use a sewing awl. Instead I pre-drill my holes and use the double needle method. works for me and makes a strong stitch.
Frank, the trick for me with regard to the leather awl is make sure you maintain the same orientation of the leather awl all the way through the area to be stitched so that the thread entering the diamond shaped hole sits in the "bottom" and the thread exiting sits in the top hole. I also use the so called saddle stitch with two needles. Really tightens up the sewn joint.
What I know about sewing leather I learned from videos. Here is a good one on how to do the saddle stitch.