Lumber Storage

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I'm slowly but surely doing a few things to improve the efficiency of storing stuff around my shop. I still have a few drawers to build for this-n-that, but one thing I completed today was a bit more lumber storage. The section of my upper wall shown below had been used to hang bandsaw blades because it was available. One thing that motivated me to get more lumber racks was the load of cherry I got from Larry a few weeks ago. The racks I got are these.

Here's the new lumber storage with the Larry cherry on it.
100_1438.jpg

The upper shelf is holding most of the cherry parts for the jewelry/lingerie cabinet I'm building for LOML. Below them are the offcuts from the initial milling of the parts.
100_1440.jpg

Together, the photos show the 70+bf I got from Larry.

Looks good Bill. I did not devote enough space to lumber storage so I wind up lying it on the floor to one side of the shop - almost out of the way but still a nuisance. I like your set up!

It is nice to get bulk storage squared away. Somewhere along the way I started ending up with stock that hung around long term. It took me a while to finally scrawl on the exposed edges with a china marking pencil as to what things were. I also find it a real time saver to mark things in batches. That is, a load of cherry that has similar color characteristics will get a letter suffix to keep them grouped. . . something like "cherry-A" for a batch that is salmon-red and "cherry-B" for another batch that is dusty-grey-red. I do the same for a few species that come in wide arrays of colors . . . like walnut for instance.