Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Mike Stafford

My wife was traveling for needlepoint yesterday so I cooked something for dinner. I always try to surprise her with a new recipe when I cook.

This turned out to be pretty good and quite hearty on a cool day. It was also easy to fix.

I give you Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup.

Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS
1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash-brown potatoes (I used cubed)
I packet ranch seasoning
32 ounce container chicken broth (see Note) (I recommend low sodium as the bacon pieces are salty as is the Ranch Seasoning and Cream of Chicken soup)
2 (10.75 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
½ bag of bacon pieces (I used half of 9 ounce bag)
1/2 cup chopped yellow onions (I used more than a 1/2 cup and it disappeared during the cooking.)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, (more to taste)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)

8 ounce bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Not an actual part of the recipe but a topping. I used Tillamook Extra Sharp farm cut.)

INSTRUCTIONS
In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, chicken broth, soup, bacon pieces, onion, Ranch Seasoning and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. If your potatoes are still in big chunks you need to cook it longer. They will start falling apart when it's ready.
Add the cream cheese and cook 30 minutes or until cream cheese is melted, stirring occasionally, until combined. (It took longer than 30 minutes for me.)
Top with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sliced green onions.

NOTES
The soup is thick and creamy. Feel free to add more broth or some milk to thin it to your desired consistency.
As you might expect this soup congeals when refrigerated so reheating is a slow process.
It ain't half bad cold...sort of like a chunky, bacon-y vichyssoise.

I'm looking forward to soup weather hitting us here.
We eat soup year round. I love making soups and freezing them so we always have something for lunch that can be made in a jiffy.

One of our absolute favorites in the Crock Pot is Turkey Drumstick soup. It is unbelievably good.

Turkey Drumstick Soup

3 turkey drumsticks (2 1/2- 3 pounds total)
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 cans chicken broth
1 cup loosely packed egg noodles
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Spray inside of crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Add drumsticks, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bouillon cube, and poultry seasoning. Pour broth over contents. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours or until turkey meat is falling off bones.

Remove turkey legs from crock pot and add noodles. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile debone turkey and shred meat into bite-size pieces. Cover with foil to keep it warm and set aside.

When noodles are cooked stir in turkey, parsley and butter. Salt and pepper to taste. (We cook the noodles separately and freeze them. Then we add the noodles in when we want to eat the soup. The noodle fall apart when frozen with the soup and get mushy.)

Freezes well with caveat about noodles above.