L-Fence Version 2

glenn bradley

I told myself that the next time I needed to use the L-fence more than a couple of times I would stop and make a version 2. I failed to do that on the last project but stopped for a bit this morning to slap one together. My first really rough L-fence was based on Bob Van Dyke's original version. I cannibalized some of that jig and based the version 2 on Bob's improved L-fence as seen in Fine Woodworking magazine. I was kind of blasting through it because I wanted to get back to my blanket chest project so the pictures start a little late.

I use the router table and fence for long grooves. For shorter dado-like grooves the router sled comes in handy.
L-Fence-v2 (1).jpg
L-Fence-v2 (2).jpg
I glue the horizontal and vertical members of the fence and use clamping squares to keep things . . . er . . . square.
L-Fence-v2 (3).jpg
These are the basic parts.
L-Fence-v2 (4).jpg
I went with brass threaded inserts as opposed to t-nuts and used UHMW "drawer tape" instead of laminate for friction reduction as Bob does.
L-Fence-v2 (5).jpg
The guide blocks, UHMW tape, and a good fit let the fence adjust up and down quickly while staying fairly parallel to the table.
L-Fence-v2 (6).jpg
I used Match-Fit clamp dovetail slots for attaching the rig to the tablesaw fence. Other clamps would do fine as well.
L-Fence-v2 (7).jpg
Now I can do the dozen or so veneered panel fitting for the current project with the version 2 fence :)