Jon's Woodworking and Recycling projects for 2023 4H fair

Introducing Jonathan, aka Jon aka2 Jon Boy aka3 Critter. He is our fourth in line grandchild. This is Jon's first year of 4H. Like his siblings, he is a go getter. The past two years he would wash pigs at the wash rack for other 4H'ers for either a dollar or a shake then last year 2 dollars. The first year woodworking project is simple. A box. It can have holes in the bottom for a flower box, or it can be a goodie box. So Jon cut and assembled the box here at my shop, sanded and painted it at his house so I don't have any pictures of the painting process.

Jon managing!.jpg

This is Jon. His skin burns at the touch of the sun so my dad started him wearing a Gilligan hat when he started walking.

jon missing my hand.jpg

Of the grands, Jon has had the best hammer skills from day one. As can be attested by the placement of my hand.

Curled my fingers in.jpg

Then the weird hit happened, no didn't hit me, but made me curl my fingers inward!!

Jon is rebuilding his egg business as he lost everything in their barn fire. So he had a problem with feeders of this type, his birds were flipping it over.

Jon adding platform to feeder.jpg
So we added a piece of metal to the bottom to increase its footprint.

Jon nailing his box together.jpg
Back to the box construction. I had him drill pilot holes and that always helps eliminate splitting of the wood.

Jon's box at the fair.jpg
Here is Jon's box completed box project. It is entered and waiting for its display place for the coming week's fair.

As stated earlier, Jon lost all of his chickens and chicken equipment in their barn fire (the barn itself was a total loss). He is a business man from the get go. He had a great egg business with bus drivers and teachers at his school.

Recycling 1.jpg

So Jon needed a way to transport his chickens or rabbits. He found some wire shelving and he and Fina put them together with wire clips. The top fell into the cage so I helped Jon "sew" 3 pieces of wood to the top rim so the cage top stays even at the top. Then I helped him measure and cut a piece of luan for the bottom covering of the wire. During the assembly of these items the cage clips they used were to small and let it fall apart. Jon and I took some individual chain links and wrapped the cage back together and it is strong now!

Recycling 2.jpg

We tried many snaps, chains and things, he settled on the two bungie cords to keep the top closed.

Recycling 3.jpg

A boy and his business back growing together!!