Jointer accident

Not me, ran across this, really like this man's mental place and his attitude. You guitar players may find this interesting also. It is part of a series, I only posted this one. Nothing gruesome, just honest truth.

Joiner is one of the most dangerous machines in the shop. I never, ever push a piece through the joiner with my hands. As a matter of a fact I don't push anything through any tool with my hands alone. I use push sticks, push blocks for every tool except the radial arm saw. I even use push sticks on the band saw. On chop saws I use clamps to hold the wood. I had a friend who lost three fingers on the table saw and another friend who lost half a finger on the band saw.

As Sergeant Phil Esterhaus used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there."

I've had a pretty healthy respect for my shop tools and have only had one close call in 40 years so far with a kick back. My FIL tried to give me his Grizzly 3hp Shaper a few years back, I think the offer is still open, but have never felt comfortable around the thing. I think a good healthy dose of fear does go along ways, but never while using a tool, just becomes too distracting.

I liked his honesty and admission of how this kind of thing happens, we all can get complacent in the shop, but sometimes it is going to end poorly.

I've been following this as well. The price you pay for things you should have done can be life altering. Not just in our craft but, in other aspects of our livers as well. I had fallen out of the habit of routinely checking easy things on the cars since we just don't drive as much as when we were working. The tires on the truck were way overdue; not by tread wear, by age. The sidewalls were starting to fail. Not something you want to find out at 80 MPH. Let's all take care. Don't put off things like re-attaching the guard or door you had off while last working on a machine. Blow $20 or $30 bucks and have spare PPE at various points around the shop. Check your fire extinguishers, your first aid kit, your exit path to the doors . . . . it is so easy to let these things go.

Last edited: