It has been a week....

Mike Stafford

It has been a week since I had surgery for trigger finger and carpal tunnel on my right hand. This morning the soft cast was removed and replaced with just a sterile pad in my palm and a wrap with a roll of gauze.

That is to stay on for another week and then I can shower without my hand in a bag. The incisions are glued and taped together.

I was given permission to and encouraged to use my fingers as long as I don't pick up anything heavy or put my weight on my hand. Typing is already proving to be a great exercise as a lot of the stiffness and swelling has left the affected fingers.

I am so looking forward to warmer weather and increased mobility in my hand. I have not enjoyed being one handed but you do what you have to do.

My wife, bless her heart, has been helping me navigate this inconvenience. She is a good woman and I am blessed to have her to take care of me.

Have a friend going in for the same thing on her left hand. I will pass along your remarks and she should feel better knowing there is alight at the end of the tunnel. Heal quickly.
David

Good to hear it is going well for you, Mike. I have trigger finger in my right hand on the middle finger and a bit on the two next to it on either side. Lots of pain in the hand and wrist. Already had the carpal surgery on both wrists but I guess it's come back again. Not looking forward to it, but if it has to be, it has to be. That danged EMG test they do to determine the nerve damage is worse than the surgery and recuperating time. The last one the neurologist said I was off the charts in nerve damage and then she looked at all the injuries I had in the past and just shook her head. Smiled. And said surgery was the only recourse. Oh, well. See what happens this time. Really glad you are doing fine, Mike. Hand problems are a pain for sure.

No issues with trigger finger, but my left hand will go numb shortly after I start driving... I drive almost exclusively with my left hand at the 10-11 o'clock position and fifteen to 30 minutes after I start, the numbness will start.... sometimes I can't feel the steering wheel. I can drop my hand to the 7 o'clock position and it will go away, but not comfortable driving that way. driving with my right hand just feels weird.... I can use both hands for a short time, but that's weird to me too.

I had two trigger fingers, one on each hand, but was also having muscle stiffness. They wanted to operate on the fingers, but I tried stopping my cholesterol medicine (statin drug), and 2 days later my fingers were fine. My other muscle problems were going away too. I have been on every statin drug since 2000, and had side effects with each one. Lipitor (the first one begun in 2,000) had me so stiff that I was on 2 canes when I moved, and in constant muscle pain. 2 days after stopping it, I no longer needed the canes, but it took me about 6 months to fully recover. After trying all of them, I told my doctor that I had read that high cholesterol never killed anyone, but the side effects from taking the statin drugs were making me wish I was dead. This was 4 years ago and I haven't taken any statin drug since. My fingers all work fine now too.

Charley

Interesting Charley; I am not taking cholesterol medicines. In fact my cholesterol is quite good for a fat boy. Usually it is in the 170 range with an HDL of more than 60 with relatively low triglycerides... less than 120 most of the time