IS BIG BROTHER COMING TO YOUR SHOP?

Government regulation will change woodworking forever from your garage to the largest users of table saws.
I ma not taking any shots at SAWSTOP if you like one buy one but soon big brother will make you buy a SawStop or something just like it . This video hit YouTube less than one hour ago.
calabrese55

I am putting the finishing touches on the one we bought for the school woodshop. The saw itself is cheaper than one lawsuit and damages to a child's hand. Took me a lot of years to convince them.
I was going to buy one for my shop as I don't think I could live with my self if they got a hand injury and I knew I could have prevented it. Heck, it is cheaper than the hospital costs in actuality. Before my grandkids started working in my shop at home I wouldn't buy one because he originally wanted it mandated. Being a red blooded redneck American, I hate being told what I can and can't have. Being a Grandpa changed that.
I will say, it is the smoooooooooothest and quietest table saw I have ever been around.

Given the resources I would have one. It is definitely on my 'want' list. Echoing what Jon said, everyone I have spoken to that has used the Sawstop says it is a very well built high quality machine.

I am putting the finishing touches on the one we bought for the school woodshop. The saw itself is cheaper than one lawsuit and damages to a child's hand. Took me a lot of years to convince them.
I was going to buy one for my shop as I don't think I could live with my self if they got a hand injury and I knew I could have prevented it. Heck, it is cheaper than the hospital costs in actuality. Before my grandkids started working in my shop at home I wouldn't buy one because he originally wanted it mandated. Being a red blooded redneck American, I hate being told what I can and can't have. Being a Grandpa changed that.
I will say, it is the smoooooooooothest and quietest table saw I have ever been around.
What model did you buy Jon. I am going to buy one soon I hope and cant make up my mind on the pro or industrial

What model did you buy Jon. I am going to buy one soon I hope and cant make up my mind on the pro or industrial

Jay, I went with the contractor model with the wings. I haven't had the kids do much flat work. Bought a couple sleds from Rockler for small pieces and look forward to safely creating unique pen blanks. The boxing, instructions and quality, really is a, "you pay for what you get".

According to the current Woodshop News, here's what the story is all about:

"At the end of February, SawStop offered to dedicate its U.S. patent, No. 9,724,840, to the public if a proposed rule requiring safety technology on all table saws becomes effective.“ As the pioneer in safety technology for table saws, SawStop believes such a standard will radically improve the overall safety of all table saws sold in the United States. It will help prevent the tens of thousands of severe injuries annually that result in billions of dollars in corresponding healthcare, pain, and suffering costs for victims and society,” the company said in its announcement. On Nov. 1, 2023, the Consumer Product Safety Commission published a supplemental notice of proposed rulemaking on table saws, which requires an active injury mitigation system, such as held in the SawStop patent.

The Power Tool Institute, which has five table saw manufacturers in its group of nine member companies, opposes the rule and notes in its fact sheet that “if the Commission were to require SawStop technology on table saws, there can be no assurance that SawStop would willingly license technology on reasonable terms. In fact, if the government effectively requires use of the SawStop technology, SawStop could demand any license terms it wants or not grant any license at all."

The comment period for this notice of Proposed Rulemaking could stretch out for months - even years - with many changes/compromises along the way. It could even, once again, fall by the wayside and never advance.
In any event, existing saws will be 'grandfathered' in and their usage will continue. If the proposed rules become regulations (NOT LAWS) selling an old saw could become a problem, since values will decline, and potential liabilities will escalate.

I don't quite understand all of the ins/outs of patents, but the original was filed in 2002, which I believe is expired now and public domain. They may have additional patents on design improvements that are preventing use though.

Like Jon, I'll probably upgrade to one at some point mostly for my grandkids, but also as I get older and less prudent in my safety habits. My current delta contractor saw is about 35 years old, still running well. I'd like to see some competition in the table saw safety market before I purchase, maybe to help add more improvements or at least drop the prices on them.

My current delta contractor saw is about 35 years old, still running well. I'd like to see some competition in the table saw safety market before I purchase, maybe to help add more improvements or at least drop the prices on them.

Other than the saw reportedly kind of being a piece of junk for other reasons... the Bosch Reaxx activator system was actually nicer. It used Bosch airbag actuators instead of jamming an AL block into the blade so there was no actual damage, just replace the little relatively cheap actuator. Saw Felder and Martin have their own system as well, but it works differently in a whole bunch of different ways.

Bit of history on the Bosch here (not sure if they ever plan on trying again.. probably.. there were two patents they ran into).

Important note in that article the majority of tablesaw injuries are kickback not blade contact. Blade contact is *sometimes* worse but kickback alone can be life changing. This is why when upgrading some years ago I went with a small format style slider not a sawstop, because the slider makes it easier to clamp things in place and not be around the blade or behind it in the danger zone to begin with (downside is that it requires a significant amount of space and some serious re-thinking of workflow, some things are WAY easier.. and others.. well.. NOT - I'm considering adding a conventional cabinet saw to the menagerie at some point for the latter reason)

My objection to Mr. Gass was that when the manufacturers didn't align with his safety push and turned down all his offers to partner up, he suffered a fit of pique and turned his hurt feelings on the entire industry. He seemingly was able to patent things that (in my opinion) he shouldn't have been able to patent, such as the electrical switching. Touch switches have been in use on lamps and water faucets for decades - why does his need a patent?
I think his saws are likely no different to any other heavy duty cast iron saw, and I think the idea of a safety brake is a good one, but after 50+ years of using a table saw with no injuries that required stitches, I'm not about to pay 1/3 extra over the price of the saw for a sensor switch, a relay and an aluminum block that destroys my blade.
Before I do that I'd pitch in a couple of thousand extra and buy a slider with a decently big out feed table as required and overhead vacuum sheet loading.

I really have zero issue with SS I take it as a quality tool and a pretty good safety idea. My issue is the way a manufacturer has the ability to influence government to basically force consumers buy their product especially on a personal protection basis. Look at this a different way, the automobile. Given the laws that can focus on commercially limiting free market product choices cars are the next target. Think of this under the guise of safety. Yes seatbelts , air bags and some electronic warning systems are all great and save lives. BUT on the premise of the ability of SS technology to eliminate serious injury what if.......a car manufacturer ups the game and kicks up the car crash safety factor. On the rabbit hole of the SS technology and the legislation to make it mandatory because it saves injuries consideration of the safety data below then very possibly will limit the cars we can buy on the basis of personal safety. Think of this carefully, the car brand limitation is entirely possibly simply on the basis of the limitation dose not necessarily protect you but moreover the unsuspecting person(s) in the car you hit need to be protected and as such those vehicle that can deliver that built in safety get mandated. One more step.......we all know about this EV thing designed to save the planet well on it's way to change what parks in your driveway in a few years . Manufactures teaming up with insurance providers could easily force a Volvo XC90 into your garage based on the protection it offers to the other poor sap who joined your accident through no fault of their own. Overreach into the individual safety of private citizens is the pathway into a dystopian future I never want to see.

10 Safest Car of 2024 According to Global NCAP Rating

What Is the Safest Car Brand in America? Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, and Mazda are the safest car brands in America. These brands typically invest in advanced safety technologies and receive high crash test scores from authoritative organizations like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).