How many of you use Incra rulers?

Mike Stafford

When I was building boxes I was a stickler for accuracy as it is hard to hide mistakes in a small item. So I bought Incra rulers and T-rules in 6", 12" and 18" sizes. I really liked the T-rules and the rulers with a right angle bend along its length which made it easy to transfer measurements very accurately around a corner.

On occasion I still use them some although not as much as I used to. I liked them because they didn't rust and provided a very accurate method to make marks for your project. The holes and slots are sized for a 5mm pencil lead.
Incra.jpg

I purchased some when I was building my street organ. Used then for that. Mainly because they are very accurate and metric. If I build something that the measurements are metric I'll use them again. I enjoyed working with metrics. I also purchased some of those mechanical pencils... They did not work well for me, broke the lead every time I tried to mark something.

I picked up some INCRA squares at an estate sale some years ago for low $ but admit I only rarely use them. I don't think I have the corner one.. that does look interesting.

I DO use the little 4R double squares (4" and 6") all the time and I also use the dickens out of dividers.

I also purchased some of those mechanical pencils... They did not work well for me, broke the lead every time I tried to mark something.

The trick with those seems to be leaning it towards the direction of travel a smidge, straight up and down and any little divot or bump will definitely snap them right off. There is also a lot of variability in lead quality some is heads and shoulders above others (no specific recommendation at the moment.. I spent some hours reading on it some years ago but the memories .. they're all gone).

The only one I own is their centering ruler. Don’t use it every day, but it comes in handy at times and I’m glad to have it. It saves me from overtaxing the few little grey cells remaining in my head.:bonkers:

I have a few of them, including the one with the T square extrusion. Like everyone else, they get used whenever precision marking is needed, but I tend to rely more on my Wixey table saw digital fence readout for most cutting accuracy. I have other centering rulers that tend to get used more often than the Incra.

Charley

I have the T-3 and T-6. The T-3 gets the bulk of the use since when I am doing that sort of layout it is often involving joinery at the end or edge of the material. I also have a little business card sized rule that is handy for laying out from an inside surface. I have 5mm mechanical pencils that stay colocated with those rules. I have a 24" and a 12" red rule that were gifted and they do get used a fair amount. I don't know that I would have ponied up for them myself. I have a couple each of 12", 18" and 24" steel cabinet rules that hang at locations where I do layout. Come to think of it I don't know that you can have enough typical 6" steel rules stuck to magnets here and there throughout the shop.

I have the 6" T-rule and like it a lot. Haven't had a need to use it in a while, but there have been periods of time when it got a lot of use.