How many Cans of WD-40?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So I've got a few questions for you fellers.

1) How many cans of WD-40 Do you need to stock on hand?

2) How often do you use WD-40?

3) How many cans of WD-40 Do you think I have?

I'll go first.

I think a person, should have 1 can on hand. Any more that that is pure insanity.

I honestly can't remember the last time I used wd-40. Maybe when I was working on my garden tractor. Might have used it to clean something off. I very rarely use WD-40.

Apparently I've got 7. I'm not sure how many are completely new and how many are partially used. I've also got 4 cans of white lithium sprayable grease, 3 cans of a variety of penetrating oils, and don't get me started on the rest of the heap.

I have no idea what to do with them.

I'm thinking of putting up a little 'free' box down by the end of the driveway and putting out notices of what I'm giving away for free on the neighborhood social media pages.

See, I'm not a hoarder. Nope, not me. Doesn't run in my genes at all.

1711672123054.png

Three cans of WD 40 with the fancy fold down spout…only one of which still works, and two cans of the spray white lithium grease, neither of which works. I hang on to them thinking someday i’ll figure out how to transfer their contents to one of those spray cans you can charge using a compressor. Maybe some day.
:rofl:

I think I know why my garage is such a mess now. I wasn't even planning on going through the drawers. Was just trying to organize the variety of 'stuff to make things stick together' and 'stuff to make things not stick together' and 'stuff to shine up other stuff' when I realized just how much of all this 'stuff' I have.

All I've been doing on this garage cleanup so far is going through the piles of stuff and sorting it into piles of relatively similar stuff. At some point, I need to reduce the amount of stuff, which I'm working on... Going slow though.

I have one large and one small can for ad-hoc temporary lubrication needs. WD-40 can turn into a sticky goo over time so my use is careful and usually targets things outdoors. If I had more outdoor equipment I would definitely have more ;-)

I would say somewhere between 2 and 4 cans. Two because you need a spare, maybe as many as 4 if you're using it a lot (I use it mostly for lubrication when wet sanding rusty metal.. and then I clean it all off and put on a proper rust inhibitor when I'm done.. I should probably just buy a can of kerosene for this..).

I think we have three cans total at our place. Two in my shop (the primary can and the backup can) and one in the kitchen with the new EZ-Reach hose. LOML uses it to keep the sliding patio door moving easier. I must say, the EZ-Reach hose is the best thing since, well, WD-40. :D I could probably also muster up one or two partially-used and clogged cans of white lithium grease, as well as a few other cans/bottles/tubes of various lubricating compounds for working on cars, guns, and guitars. I even have a little vial of Big Bends Nut Sauce for lubing guitar nuts. :rofl:

I busted out the big tub of white lithium grease to lube up the trailer hitch today... Sometimes it's nice to just have what you need in stock (assuming it doesn't go bad)! Pretty sure I have a spray can of it somewhere as well.. maybe I ought to find that...

I'm also down one can of WD-40 cause I put some stuff on top of it (yeah yeah...) and there was a "what's that hissing noise" followed by "oh.. I recognize that smell".. "darn".

I have one can of WD-40. It is the gallon size and from it I fill three spray bottles. One spray bottle is in the shop; one is in the garage area of my shop for use on the gardening tools there and the third is in the garage with the cars on that workbench.

I used it most recently when I was cleaning my knife blades in preparation for buffing just to help prevent rust. When I am cleaning the ways on my lathe I use wd-40 and a green 3M pad to get them all clean and shiny. I do wipe off the excess with a rag after cleaning.

WD-40 has a myriad of uses and I have even heard that it was used successfully to facilitate the removal of stuck dental floss. Interestingly enough it supposedly tastes not like chicken but like fish. :p (From the fish oil it does not contain.)

Here is a link to some fun facts about WD-40. https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

I keep a can of Liquid Wrench, a can of white grease (+ a tub), a can of Fluid Film grease and an oil squirt can to put it into, an oil can with 5W40 synthetic in it, a pistol grease gun with sub-zero grease in it and an air-operated gun with hi-temp bearing grease.

I don't use WD40.

I forgot the gallon can of Fluid Film and the underbody spray kit. Haven’t figured out how to use it yet, but I really like the spray cans of the stuff. It sticks where you spray it and does a good job resisting rust on outdoor equipment.

I forgot the gallon can of Fluid Film and the underbody spray kit. Haven’t figured out how to use it yet, but I really like the spray cans of the stuff. It sticks where you spray it and does a good job resisting rust on outdoor equipment.
Makes a good 'non-stick' spray for the underside of the lawn mower too.
BTW, if you use it for undercoating the car you'll need to park over a tarp, or on an unpaved surface for a couple days.

Three cans of WD 40 with the fancy fold down spout…only one of which still works, and two cans of the spray white lithium grease, neither of which works. I hang on to them thinking someday i’ll figure out how to transfer their contents to one of those spray cans you can charge using a compressor. Maybe some day.
:rofl:
I am not a fan of the "fancy fold down spout" as I also have had problems with them. I have about 3 standard spray cans and one small one. I like the small one as it seems to work better when you just want a small squirt on something without getting too much overspray. But they sure gouge you on the price of the small can.

I still use WD40 quite a lot. In fact, I just bought new can just last month. I do find they are like tape measures in that you can't find one when you need it leading you to buy another. It is only when reorganizing you discover you have a problem with too many.

Pull your tail lights out and in a yard sprayer, spray fluid film all over inside your fenders, pop a door panel loose and spray the inside of your doors.

Nice collection Brent
You need to do what I'm going to do starting monday
Open every drawer go thru every basket or container go thru all hardware and then move and clean every single inch of the shop
I hate when I buy something especially now with insane prices then 2 weeks later I find the same thing tucked away somewhere

Nice collection Brent
You need to do what I'm going to do starting monday
Open every drawer go thru every basket or container go thru all hardware and then move and clean every single inch of the shop
I hate when I buy something especially now with insane prices then 2 weeks later I find the same thing tucked away somewhere
That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm going through every shelf, drawer and box and am sorting through and trying to reduce the amount of 'stuff'.
What I have too many dupes of will be donated, given away, thrown away, etc. I want a shop I can work in, not a place to store stuff I'll never use.
Going a bit slow right now, but I just need to downsize. Why have 3 lifetime supplies of wd-40. And there's other stuff in there that just doesn't need to be in the shop.
I don't need 5 lifetime supplies of wd-40, lol.

The endless uses and miracles of WD40..... I have one can use it mostly when sharpening my router bits, chisels and plane blades. Also a quick dressing on my table saw top and lathe ways to spiff up the surface with steel wool or real fine silicon carbide paper.
BUT if you want to be the WD40 influencer of your neighborhood you can get some pointers here.
https://files.wd40.com/pdf/WD-40_Multi_Use_Product_2000_Uses_final.pdf YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS LIST :drool:
calabrese55