Hoarding wood...

Mike Stafford

The WD-40 thread reminded me of why we hoard things.

Andy Rooney put it better than I ever could.

"When I come home with wood I have found in some obscure sawmill, lumberyard or farmers barn, my wife invariably asks one of two questions: "Don’t you have enough wood?" or alternately, "What are you going to do with that?" For me, having wood is an end in itself. I own boards that I would rather have hanging on my living room wall than a Rembrandt painting. At the bottom of my wood rack, I have stickered seven cherry boards 14ft. long and 25 in wide at their widest point. I used to have eight but I made two tables out of one of them. I had to eliminate one car from the garage when I built the rack to accommodate it. I bought this wood from a man who had kept it in his barn for 20 years. I like the tables but they do not give me any more pleasure than do the seven boards. I have looked down at that cherry several thousand times in the ten years I've had it and derived pleasure on every occasion. What would I do with them that could be better than that?” -Andy Rooney

I know for myself there is great pleasure in a beautiful piece of wood. I have saved really small scraps because they were just too good to throw away. And then some years later I found the perfect use for them. Maybe it was a miniature birdhouse or as an inlay in the lid of a box; or a pen, or an awl handle; or now as a knife handle. When I started saving these scraps I didn't know one day that I would be making knives and that these pieces of good wood would be the perfect size for the handle scales.

All I can say is that I made the right decision to save those pieces of wood. Now I have to find uses for all the other pieces too good to throw away.

There is something about a fine piece of wood that makes me hesitate to use. I have several (many?) pieces in storage that I can't bring myself to use yet. They are of such beauty that it requires just the right project to do them justice. Adding to that is the belief that I am not yet qualified. They deserve a highly skilled craftsman. Every once in while I think I am ready, but when faced with them, still find myself lacking. Someday...

I feel no remorse for hoarding wood and my wife cannot complain. If she does I will remind her of all the pieces of material in our house and she rents a storage unit also... Mostly material, Compared to the hoarding of wood I do.. not even a challenge. she has more money tied up , to me, in useless pieces of cloth that far exceeds my supply of very value one of a kind pieces of wood, and all the my machinery in my shop. In fact her two sewing machines, price exceeded, more than all my tools. I tell her "carry on lady". I need never feel ashamed. If you have a quilter wife.. you are material, broke, sewing machine, broke, patterns, broke, cutting equipment, broke, measuring stuff, broke, sewing machine work tables, broke, thread, broke, going to quilting retreats. broke, sewing machines additives,broke, sewing machine software, broke, need I go on, prove me wrong! There needs to be a broke quilter's husbands association! Well I rant, but in my case she has paid for most of it with her own money.. She reminds me all the time, her money is "hers", my money is "ours". What can I say,,, I am weak. I am married.. 57, looong hard years!! would not change a thing. She presented me with two great kids. And may I add, the kids are grown and gone, but she allows me to have my two great dogs.. as long a I buy the food and vacuum the hair...

Last edited:
If she does I will remind her of all the pieces of material in our house and she rents a storage unit also.

Our first trip down to the new place was an 18' trailer packed full to 4'+ high (plus a bit in the truck which was mostly sundries). The front 3' was a couple of tools (drum sander and router table) and the rest was pretty evenly split between books (about 75% mine I guess) and yarn / wool. The rest of the yarn/wool is staged in the garage at least for the next load.... The spinning wheels alone.. will take at least 2 maybe three trips cause they need to be babied inside the car...

I haven't actually moved ANY of my wood though... I don't *THINK* it's a full trailer load.. probably... Pretty sure it's not.

OTOH being a wood worker does have advantages, the neighbors were all super impressed that I slapped together the box on the trailer in a day. I was thinking "It took me almost all day and I barely had time to load it before dark so kinda slow" but I guess it's all relative. (and yes I put tie down strapping over it in an X and across the front after this shot.. hah - I've also since ordered some carabiners for the tarp side of the rope hold down which will be a LOT easier to tension/setup).

1711935456121.png

I feel no remorse for hoarding wood and my wife cannot complain. If she does I will remind her of all the pieces of material in our house and she rents a storage unit also... Mostly material, Compared to the hoarding of wood I do.. not even a challenge. she has more money tied up , to me, in useless pieces of cloth that far exceeds my supply of very value one of a kind pieces of wood, and all the my machinery in my shop. In fact her two sewing machines, price exceeded, more than all my tools. I tell her "carry on lady". I need never feel ashamed. If you have a quilter wife.. you are material, broke, sewing machine, broke, patterns, broke, cutting equipment, broke, measuring stuff, broke, sewing machine work tables, broke, thread, broke, going to quilting retreats. broke, sewing machines additives,broke, sewing machine software, broke, need I go on, prove me wrong! There needs to be a broke quilter's husbands association! Well I rant, but in my case she has paid for most of it with her own money.. She reminds me all the time, her money is "hers", my money is "ours". What can I say,,, I am weak. I am married.. 57, looong hard years!! would not change a thing. She presented me with two great kids. And may I add, the kids are grown and gone, but she allows me to have my two great dogs.. as long a I buy the food and vacuum the hair...
I imagine having a quilter as a wife is not unlike having a needlepointer as a wife. The biggest difference is the size of the objects in their stash. Either way I am sure you can relate to this.

Attachments

• fabric store.jpg
    fabric store.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 15
Let me ask you fellers a question in a moment of full disclosure.

How many of your wives buy you wood? My wife does! Almost every birthday, Christmas and Valentine's Day I receive a box full of wood. She buys whatever she thinks is the prettiest wood and if it is expensive it does not matter. Not only does she buy me wood she takes the action photos for my magazine articles. She will stand there with chips raining down into her hair and take all the photos I need. Usually she takes between one and two hundred photos for an article so I have a choice of angles and views.

I think that is aiding and abetting my addiction. I cannot quit if I wanted to....