Gibson ES-335 Kit Guitar Build

I found a stain combination that I liked and made a figured maple mockup to test making it, starting with black, sanded back then, turquoise, then, YES Vaughn Purple! Love the look, but just a little over the top for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6410.jpg
    IMG_6410.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6407.jpg
    IMG_6407.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6405.jpg
    IMG_6405.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6354.jpg
    IMG_6354.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6349.jpg
    IMG_6349.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a great kit, and you made a great choice on the color, Tom. :thumb: As much as I like purple, I've never been fond of Gibson's blueberry burst finish. I like transparent purple over figured maple, but the blue/purple combo is too much for my tastes. I also like your choice to keep the neck, back and sides natural. My latest PRS follows the same color scheme. (It's also the lightest mahogany I've ever seen.)

IMG_1926 - 1024.jpg IMG_1929 - 1024.jpg

What pickups are you planning to install?

Those should be great pickups in a 335, Tom. :thumb: I have no doubt they'll sound good. And the Mojo Sound setup should make pickup installation a lot easier. I think wiring is my least favorite part of working on guitars. I know how to do it and it's not rocket surgery, but when it's all finished it's never as neat as I'd like it to be. (And I've done enough of them over the years that I should be good at it by now, lol.) I have a set of Seymour Duncans that I want to put in the new PRS, but I keep procrastinating because it's such a pain in the butt.

Here's a few more:
Dry fit the neck and install the bridge, saddle and low and high E tuners to check for straightness and action
IMG_6508.jpgIMG_6507.jpg

Looks good and straight, action on 12th fret .050, so plenty of room for adjusting, noticed that the bushings needed to be set a bit more, did that, so time to glue the neck on permanently using titebond Hide Glue.
IMG_6509.jpg

Starting to look like a guitar now :)
IMG_6511.jpgIMG_6512.jpgIMG_6513.jpg

Didn't take pictures of leveling the frets, but this is polishing them
IMG_6558.jpg

Last for now is putting on Tru-Oil, loving it so far, 2 coats as shown, it has 9 coats now, one more to go then start assembly :thumb:
IMG_6581.jpgIMG_6582.jpgIMG_6584.jpgIMG_6580.jpgIMG_6589.jpg

That’s something for change Tom! It is coming out really beautiful. On my to do list there is an acoustic ukulele, so maybe you are spurring me with this project.

OK, 10 coats in, Ive heard folks doing anywhere from 4 to 20 coats of Tru-Oil, I'm not sure if I should go further, since I have time, maybe a few coats more, looking deeper with every coat, slight cast of green as Tru-oil has a amber cast to it, but not bad, still mostly turquoise overall, I have to rework the electronics a bit, so time is not the issue, decisions, decisions, decisions :unsure:
IMG_6611.jpgIMG_6612.jpg

That’s something for change Tom! It is coming out really beautiful. On my to do list there is an acoustic ukulele, so maybe you are spurring me with this project.
Go for it Toni, I've made 2 ukulele kits, they are fun, you need to build one from scratch, my next guitar will be a scratch build Telecaster, have at it my friend!

...All complete less the electronics, really liking the looks of it, working in the controls now...
It's all over except the hard part. :D I did a complete rewiring of a 335-style guitar once and it was quite a wrestling match getting everything in place. That axe is going to be sweet when it's all done, though!