Friday 5/3/24

Now we are going to getthe rains, weatherman says. Supposedly I'm taking Skylar out foranother go at getting her a turkey.
Jarrod, me and a couple friends coming out to the farm to help with the 17x14 sheed build this weekend. We got to get it built.
I suppose to be heading to Raystown Sunday for a week turkey hunting with my old buddy Alvin on his farm but that may be put off cause of rain forcast for the week.
Furniture came in for the living room. I'm back home.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_072047.jpg
    IMG_20240503_072047.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2632 (2).jpg
    IMG_2632 (2).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240503_072219.jpg
    IMG_20240503_072219.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Picking up four calves with the grandkids tonight. Hauling to their fairgrounds (a little over an hour away) Saturday morning for them to get ear tags. Stopping by Fina's to trim Jon's pony's hooves and a friend of theirs has a potbelly pig with bad overgrown hooves that I got volunteered to trim. I'll fool them, Fina knows how to trim, but never trimmed a pig, so will demonstrate on the first and if it is the squealing fest that I think it will be, they get to do the other three hooves! Then home without any kids and Lou and I get to move the calves into their pens in the barn. Everything is wet, mosquitos are out in full force!! Be safe and stay healthy !!!!

Picking up four calves with the grandkids tonight. Hauling to their fairgrounds (a little over an hour away) Saturday morning for them to get ear tags. Stopping by Fina's to trim Jon's pony's hooves and a friend of theirs has a potbelly pig with bad overgrown hooves that I got volunteered to trim. I'll fool them, Fina knows how to trim, but never trimmed a pig, so will demonstrate on the first and if it is the squealing fest that I think it will be, they get to do the other three hooves! Then home without any kids and Lou and I get to move the calves into their pens in the barn. Everything is wet, mosquitos are out in full force!! Be safe and stay healthy !!!!
Jon have you tried any of the new skitter devices? I've seen some that look promising.

Last edited:
Jon have tried any of the new skitter devices? I've seen some that look promising.

Lou buys the grandkids thermacells for Christmas. Tess and Eric have a boatload of them. When the sun starts going down and they start attacking, good reason to go inside! Also am going to hang an old school electric bug zapper tonight.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun weekend! :giggle:

My day started with a blood letting... Not as dramatic as I have made it sound. I had to go to the phlebotomist so that blood could be collected for one of next week's doctor appointments. I have a bunch coming up this month and next. It seems they are in the same cycle which works for me although I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms. One who is alive because of these people should not complain, however.

92 here yesterday. That is hot enough to get my attention. I worked in the shop almost the entire day and was fine until late afternoon. I swear the humidity level increased at least 20% during the afternoon. I have no data to prove it but it sure became sticky and the encrustations of sanding dust on me are proof of my statement. It is supposed to be 90 today. Well, we had a nice spring last Saturday....

I have been turning vases, bowls and cups with feet. I am doing an article on vessels with feet. I have also been turning Santa's helper gnomes. Santa has elves in his workshop but few people realize that he and Mrs. Claus have layers of middle managers and supervisors who keep the whole thing going and on schedule. These manager gnomes look a lot like Santa but have tall pointy hats in different colors to identify their areas of responsibilities. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

I also prepared a blank for turning a large Masur birch box. I always get a pucker in my nether regions when I am turning a Masur birch blank. It is by far the most expensive wood that I turn. It still costs more than cocobolo, kingwood and the rest of the exotics. I bought several small logs close to 20 years ago and they were expensive then so you can imagine how expensive they are now. They are bone dry at this point. Here is a blank that I turned round and then here is the same blank with the figure that was revealed. This piece of wood started out roughly 5 1/2" in diameter and after cutting away all the bark and bumps and divots it was reduced to 4 1/2" in diameter. It is about 5 1/2" long. It is one of the most wonderful woods there is to turn.

IMG_1513 (Custom).JPG IMG_1552 (Custom).JPG

Don't look at the mess on the bench in the background. Please don't look. I am embarrassed to see my benches in the shape they are in.

We had a flash flood come through on Sunday night, we slept right through it. :eek: It got up high enough to wash right over the top of the pond, which is only about 3' lower than the base of the house. It was gone as quickly as it came in. I noticed the pond changed to a muddy look that morning and after looking a bit realized it had flooded overnight, but the creek was back in the banks by morning. We lost a good part of creek bank in one area, which I got a good look at yesterday, maybe 15' gone. Have tons and tons of new sand in the field now. I may collect some over the next few weeks to have for projects.

Anyway, Murphy visited and the sump pump quit working, so we had 4" of water in the basement. I got a replacement this week and need to re-plumb it, but have it working for now.

I think this actually may be the weekend I get back to working on the guest cabin. :D

my son in law went off with his brothers to their home in pa, he told me they are going to a shooting range, and on that note, my daughter is home alone all weekend with the kiddies so we are headed over tomorrow, will prolly spend the day with her and the kiddies, and might do the same sunday. no woodworking plans yet....i might put together some cutting boards this coming week to keep me busy.

Based on a phone call I just got, it looks like I'll be helping my buddy Jeff move a load of landscaping rock this afternoon. (He needs my pickup more than he needs me, but I don't like to loan out my vehicles, so I'll be doing the driving.) As time permits, I'm also planning to continue my butchering project on the tree that fell in our back yard a while back. I also need to run through some songs in prep for a couple of rehearsals next week...one with Joe, who is going to be joining the band as the second guitarist, and another with the full band (including Joe). We've got two gigs next weekend so we're trying to get the new guy up to speed ASAP.

Trying to talk myself out of picking up a cheap 120v MIG welder this weekend. LOML brought home a metal wall hanging that she got for free because one of the welded pieces broke off. I've never welded, but part of my brain is trying to convince me that an electric glue gun for steel would be handy to have around the shop. Fortunately, the one in the link is not in stock at my local store so it'd need to be ordered. That'll at least keep me from making an impulse buy, lol. I might just try using a hot glue gun to fix the broken wall hanging and save myself some money. ;)

And this weekend is the Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix, so I'll be watching all the parts of that as the weekend progresses.

Jarrod had a friend his come by the shop so he could help me with a speech I need to give for his wedding on the 19th. I've never given a speech. Once in college I took a B in an advanced design class just because I refused to give an oral report. Public speaking is not my thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240503_161227_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240503_161227_Messages.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 10