Finally! The Tools Are Here! Time to Set Up Shop

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Today my cousin the mover and his helper (and I) got the remaining large tools moved from my offsite storage locker to my garage. Only took 3 1/2 years to get all the pieces in place, lol. We'd originally planned to do it next weekend, but after my hired help sized up the load yesterday, they decided to just get it done this weekend.

The main pieces I needed help with were the compressor (700+ pounds, and VERY top-heavy), my lathe (650 pounds) and 14" bandsaw (not real heavy but pretty top-heavy on a dolly). The compressor was the real beast. It was about all the three of us could do to get it up the ramp into the truck. (They rented a large Ryder truck, which was way bigger and higher than we needed.) Getting it down the ramp was no picnic either, especially for the helper, who had the bulk of the weight on his arms as the dolly operator. The other two of us just kept it from rolling down the ramp out of control. I'm seeing now that the new garage has less floor space than the old one did, so there are a few things that will be going up for sale. (A mortiser, a large mechanic's vise, a portable miter saw stand, and a few other pieces that seldom if ever got used.)

I still have a couple of pickup loads worth of smaller stuff to bring, but they're staying in storage a bit longer so I don't have to move them around as I get the bigger pieces into place. It's mostly things like turning blanks, a few small bundles of lumber, a couple of storage bins, and a 6" Grizzly jointer that I can move pretty easily with the lift gate on my truck. The jointer is another one of the tools that may go up for sale. I very seldom have a need for it, and the cast iron fence bracket got broken when it was moved to Albuquerque, so it's pretty much unusable as it sits. It doesn't look like Grizzly has the broken part available. I could probably fabricate a non-adjustable wooden fence, but I'm still kind of doubtful that I'll have space for the jointer anyway, so I may just let the next owner figure out how to fix it.

No pics at this point, but I'll use this thread to hopefully motivate me to post progress pics as I get things organized and moved into place. Stay tuned. ;)

Congrats. Wow, 3 1/2 years. I (sort of) know the feeling, and the happiness...but for me it was only 2 years. But it's really nice to see tools moved into a using position!

Congrats, but you are a piker. Mine have been in trailers since 2013. And will be for a while yet. If I ever get it set back up, I will have a tool museum

Glad you are finally getting organized. Time flies when your having fun. Doesn't seem like it's been that long that you moved to my old stomping grounds.
David

Made lots of forward progress this weekend. Sorry, no pics yet because there are still some more things to move out (like boxes I emptied this weekend), but it's starting to look like a shop now. Here's a list of some of the major milestones:

I moved nearly everything out of the shop and into the driveway, so I could decide on the floor plan and get the machines moved into place. After a fair amount of head scratching, I came up with a layout that should work for me.

Re-installed the lathe bed extension on my Powermatic. That's a 2-man job (or more correctly, a 1-man-and-his-wife job).

Hooked up the 240v power drop from the ceiling to the lathe, bandsaw, and vacuum pump. It was great to power up the lathe and saw and confirm they both still run smoothly.

Reassembled and installed the articulating arm for the Moffett light on the lathe.

Got power run overhead and dropped to right behind the tool benches (which are in the middle of the room), for the sharpening station and whatever else needs power in that area. Got the bulk of my turning tools unpacked and loaded into the Husky rolling tool bench.

Got my sharpening station (dry grinder and Tormek) set up on the rolling tool bench. The bench will be directly behind me when I'm standing at the lathe, as will all the turning tools.

Re-filled the oil reservoir on my air compressor.

Got the air compressor hard-wired into its dedicated 240v 40 amp circuit. Tested that it runs and stops at 150 psi like it should. It does and it did.

Got the 3/4" flex air hose (actually a 3000 psi hydraulic hose) connected from the compressor to my "poor man's air drying rack".

Got my remote air station reassembled and installed on the side of a rolling tool storage cabinet/bench at the end of the lathe.

Got 6 or 7 plastic bins worth of assorted shop stuff unpacked and put everything away in its respective appropriate location.

Next on the list to get done:

Complete about 10' of overhead 3/4" galvanized steel air line plumbing from the air drying rack to the remote air station. Once done, I'll have air at my lathe for running the pneumatic 2" ROS and for blowing off dust when sanding.

Assemble Big Gulp dust collection scoop for use at the lathe.

Install new collection bag on the dust collector.

Do another 120v power drop from the ceiling to behind the lathe, to power the DC and the 4' power strip that's installed under the lathe. That power strip supplies the lathe lighting, electric sanders, the power supply for the laser on my hollowing rig, a Dremel on a flex shaft, and my woodburning tools.

Get the Jet air filter mounted to the ceiling and powered up. That's going to be a 2-man job for sure.

Rebuild the battery packs for my Trend Airshield. I have all the battery cells...just need to solder them up in the right configuration.

Get rid of a pile of empty cardboard boxes and move empty plastic bins into the shed in the back yard. Move anything else that doesn't belong in the shop out to the shed as well.

Clear off the built-in workbench, and empty the cabinet drawers below it and the pegboard wall behind it. Once done, decide what really needs to be on the pegboard and in the drawers, and put everything in its respective place.

Sell/donate/give away/throw away/move to shed various unneeded things to free up more space.

So I'm close...very close...to being able to actually use the shop to make something. :woohoo: It took a lot of effort to not drop everything and turn a chunk of wood into a round shape once the lathe got powered up and the turning tools unpacked. Hopefully I'll be able to wrap up the air and DC stuff this week, so I can actually be turning by next weekend. (Although I might not have time to play in the shop next weekend, since I'll be spending most of the time with my team at the state APA pool tournament.)

Wow you've been busy! I'll bet you slept like a baby after than was all done.

That is a hefty compressor!!! 40a :eek:

What lathe extension do you have, I'm guessing the long one?

Wow you've been busy! I'll bet you slept like a baby after than was all done.

That is a hefty compressor!!! 40a :eek:

What lathe extension do you have, I'm guessing the long one?

Between a band gig Saturday and all the moving and lifting Sunday and Monday, I'm pretty stiff and sore today. ;)

The compressor has a true 5hp motor running at slow speed (1750 rpm), turning a twin cylinder single stage pump with a 32 cfm total displacement. That equates to about 19 usable "free air" cfm at 100 psi. The running amperage on the motor is about 24 amps. Using this compressor in a hobbyist woodshop is about like using a Powermatic 3520B to turn pens. Serious overkill, but oh so nice to use. :)

I have the shorter (20") extension for my lathe. 99% of the time I've had it in the lower position (like a drop bed). It mostly gets used as a parking place for my tailstock when I'm using the hollowing rig, but if I'm turning anything over 20" in diameter, I can mount the banjo to the lower bed and move the headstock down to the lowered end. That'll (in theory) let me turn up to 38" in diameter.

Looking forward to seeing some more awesome hollow forms. That's a lot of work you have done getting things all set back up. I'm sure it will feel good to start getting it all dirty soon.