Fed up!

Paul Douglass

A while ago, I got out the echo weed trimmer, got it started with a few cranks, It ran full bore for a good 20 minutes, then it died and I have not been able to start it since. So I got out the stihl that ran fine two days ago, cranked it up. It ran great for about 10 minutes and then quit. Have not been able to start it since. I am tired of cranking, and my neck will not take it any more, so I just spent this month's military disability check (which isn't much but extra mad money) and nexts months on this: One that was highly recommended to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RND55QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1.

I know it may be a gas problem on the others, but so what, I use non-alcohol gas which is recommended and good 2 cycle oil, but just plan tired of messing with them. And if we happen to move to town, I would rather have the quiet battery one and even out here I do not dare fire up a noisy gas one before my wife gets out of bed when the day is 1/2 over. So I ordered an Ego off Amazon. What makes me mad about this is now I am locked into Ego for any battery stuff. Which is part of the plan by the manufacturers. Should be all batteries will fit all .. like car batteries, flashlight batteries,, maybe someday. they will. Anyway, now a little over a week for it to get here, the weeds grow taller. What do I do with the two gas ones I have? Can't sell them until they are running and it appears it is up to them when they decide to do that.

Both had carburetor replacements last year.. both carburetors have very little time on them and every time I talk to a repair person, oh, more than likely "the carburetor". Humm I say. If carburetors go bad that quickly, time to go battery...

I got tired of messing with gas and oil a couple of years ago and went with the EGO system. Weed eater, leaf blower, chain saw and mower. All have worked well except the mower, which has a self propelled mode which surges suddenly. I’m used to it by now, but it’s a design flaw that has not been corrected so far. Lowe’s and ACE Hardware are my local dealers and they both offer a military discount. When the batteries go bad it will be costly to replace them.

I've been migrating over time to as many battery operated tools as I can. I do have a few combustion engines but the unreliability of them continues to vex me. Usually a cheap carb will fix it for a year, no matter if I use fuel preservative, or run then dry or do whatever, they always seem to have a problem.

Before you tear into anything else, check:
1. the vents for the fuel tank; and
2. the spark arrester screen in the muffler/exhaust.

Also, were the replacement carbs OEM brand or Amazon sourced Chinese replicas?

run then dry
I was recently informed that 2 stroke engines actually do NOT like to be run dry which was very much news to me. Reading more about it though it makes sense. The recommendation is to run them until they sputter, then add some stabilized fuel and run them for a minute more then shut them down.

I was recently informed that 2 stroke engines actually do NOT like to be run dry which was very much news to me. Reading more about it though it makes sense. The recommendation is to run them until they sputter, then add some stabilized fuel and run them for a minute more then shut them down.
True. The diaphragms in the carbs dry out and become brittle. One of the reasons I asked about what the replacement carbs were. The cheap ones are notorious for failure.

Replace the carburetors
Is it worth the bother? Local auction house frequently has piles of ten or twenty used gas trimmers. The whole pile often ends up being sold for only about $10.00. Regardless of brand, methinks they are built for limited use. e.g. 'planned obsolesce'. I have a gas (Stihl) trimmer that hasn't been used in years. I also have a lower priced electric trimmer that works great and is my 'go to' one. Times, they are a changing.

...I have a gas (Stihl) trimmer that hasn't been used in years. I also have a lower priced electric trimmer that works great and is my 'go to' one. Times, they are a changing.
I have a 17 year old Stihl gas trimmer that still starts on the third pull and runs great. It's never been apart, except for cleaning the spark arrester screen several times.

I also have a Stihl battery powered trimmer that I hate. The motor portion is great, but the string head was made for the lighter (o.80) string, and that wears off quickly and then the 'tap to advance' doesn't work. I've replaced the head, but that didn't help.

I do not like things like that with gas engines. I prefer electric. Battery is good. I wound rather drag a 100' extension cord than to deal with gas - oil - carbs - noise and so on. Electric - push the button and it works. Let go the button and it stops. Even an electric firewood splitter.

I've got electric weed eater, blower, and chainsaw, all the 40v kolbalt version to share the batteries. My wife uses the weed eater, but nice not having to fill up and start the gas blower and chains saw for quick uses.

Before you tear into anything else, check:
1. the vents for the fuel tank; and
2. the spark arrester screen in the muffler/exhaust.

Also, were the replacement carbs OEM brand or Amazon sourced Chinese replicas?
I was using my pole saw the other day and was hard to start, it would idle fine, but couldn't hold a high idle. I ended up finding the mud daubers nested in the muffler/exhaust last year. :)