Eclipse words

Mike Stafford

This week my Word-A-Day site has been sending me words to prepare me for the eclipse on Monday. I don't think where I am I will be able to see much of the actual eclipse but at least I will be prepared to talk about it. I thought I would share all this wonderful knowledge with my friends here on FWW.

Umbra- The darkest inner part of a shadow, as during an eclipse.
1712316295438.png

Occultation- The passage of a celestial object in front of another, hiding it from view.
1712316319903.png

Penumbra- The diffuse area around the dark central area of a sunspot. A partly shaded region between fully dark and fully lit.
1712316358052.png You may notice the right hand image has a shadowy bit named antumbra. My great aunt on my father's side was Aunt Umbra. :p

Umbrageous- Cast in shadow; shaded. Providing shade.

1712316498883.png

Totality- The phase of an eclipse when an obscuring body completely blocks the light source, e.g., when the moon completely blocks the view of the sun

1712316554789.png During the last eclipse I was able to capture this image of the totality. 1712316662946.jpeg

I knew most of these terms as a result of studying eclipses. As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to travel to see the full eclipse next week. My friend Jeff left early this morning for Texas, with the sole purpose of viewing the eclipse. I was very happy that Albuquerque was perfectly positioned to view the annular eclipse last year. I got some great photos. (Coincidentally from Jeff's sister's back yard.) I have a variation of this animated composite as the wallpaper on my computer:

2023 Eclipse Composite Colorized.gif

I knew most of these terms as a result of studying eclipses. As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to travel to see the full eclipse next week. My friend Jeff left early this morning for Texas, with the sole purpose of viewing the eclipse. I was very happy that Albuquerque was perfectly positioned to view the annular eclipse last year. I got some great photos. (Coincidentally from Jeff's sister's back yard.) I have a variation of this animated composite as the wallpaper on my computer:

View attachment 129436
Wouldn't it be really cool if eclipses looked like this!

and all the merchants are cashing in.
my wife purchased a dozen eclipse glasses as we are in pretty prime viewing area, or at least a graph or two shows it.
she got 12 pairs for 12 .97 on prime.

now the same glasses a day after she ordered them last week were 18.99, and some companies were charging as much as 30 dollar for a dozen, and the funniest part of all of it was they were promising shipping for april 9th, the day after the eclipse. I hope people look at the shipping dates..imagines concedeing and saying ok, but I want to watch it, so Ill over pay a few bucks, and then not receive them in time.

I'm pretty much indifferent about the event. But, I do find it interesting to read about all the excitement it is causing. We are in a prime viewing area and I will probably watch it from my deck. We are also on the edge of predicted cloudy weather. Meaning we won't know if the sky will be clear or cloudy until the actual event. If it's cloudy I'll watch it on TV. I don't have proper filters for my camera so won't attempt any photography.

I'm pretty much indifferent about the event. But, I do find it interesting to read about all the excitement it is causing. We are in a prime viewing area and I will probably watch it from my deck. We are also on the edge of predicted cloudy weather. Meaning we won't know if the sky will be clear or cloudy until the actual event. If it's cloudy I'll watch it on TV. I don't have proper filters for my camera so won't attempt any photography.
Im with you on the dont get all the excitment this is causing. long island is going bananas it seems. people are taking off from work, people are having viewing parties, the local county has post viewing areas, mostly around museums or public buildings parks, and such.

Im with you on the dont get all the excitment this is causing. long island is going bananas it seems. people are taking off from work, people are having viewing parties, the local county has post viewing areas, mostly around museums or public buildings parks, and such.
Having done it, I can understand the excitement if you're in the path of totality. This time around, Albuquerque (and Long Island) are far enough away from that path that it's not nearly as interesting (at least to me). Another thing that makes this one special is this is the last total eclipse to be visible from the USA for the next 20 years. (And then it will only be going over Montana and the Dakotas.) So for most of us here, it's likely the last one of our lifetimes.

I had a good view from my deck. Interesting, but for me, still nothing to get excited over. My son and DIL were returning from a trip to Florida. On their way home to near Springfield, MO they stayed overnight outside of Little Rock and watched the eclipse from there. They next day, heading home, traffic on the highway was so clogged it was bumper to bumper, stop and go. It took them five hours to travel what would normally a one hour trip. Did I say, "Folks is funny critters"?

traffic on the highway was so clogged it was bumper to bumper, stop and go. It took them five hours to travel what would normally a one hour trip. Did I say, "Folks is funny critters"?
We were at Bull Shoals lake for the event. Our friends from KC came down that morning, ran into traffic coming, then they got stuck it in all the way back to KC. Each way was estimated at 4.5 hours, but they were about 6 coming and almost 7 hours getting back home. We left the campground around 5:30PM and were back home in an about an hour, no traffic at all.