Decent Dado Blade set

Paul Douglass

I have a Freud 8" dado blade set, I have had it for years. Like over 25 maybe, I do not use it a lot but am wondering if it is time to replace it. Some of the carbide teeth on the chippers are gone or chipped. I know they can be replaced, but I'd have to send it off, wait and hope a good job was done. Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement. I have nothing against the one I have. except the shims are easily bent if extra care is not taken when putting them on and removing the. The advantage, as I see it, to replaceing with the same provides some extra parts. Just curios what would be some recommendations?

The "Super Fancy Expensive Saw Owners Group" was singing the praises of the new CMT set as far as price/performance goes:

Looks like acme still has them in stock..

review here:

Ridge Carbide also has nice sets: https://ridgecarbidetool.com/collections/dado-sets

I've also been pretty happy with the carbide tools I've bought from infinity:

I ended up with a dado-king due to some fairly specific saw limitations on wide stacks, it's been decent as well:

That's the only stacked set I have recent experience with..

I have a few stacks. The CMT does a decent job and I use it primarily for MDF and other composites. I have a DeWalt 7670 that I use for plywood and softwoods that require a good slice at the outer edge for thinner veneer layers and generally softer material but you get a bit of the bat-wing effect. I use a Freud SD508 for hardwoods. You can get a very serviceable dado stack for $100 to $150 street price if you watch for sales events. MY SD508 was $150 with a coupon from Rockler, the 7670 was around $70 during an Amazon price whoopsie, and the CMT was $35 during a Lowe's clearance when they moved from CMT to Irwin . . . they are now sporting DeWalt as their dado of choice IIRC. I suggest having a few specific items on your short list and then keeping your eyes open. I have gotten so many "good deals" by simply being prepared (y).

Last edited:
I have a few stacks. The CMT does a decent job and I use it primarily for MDF and other composites. I have a DeWalt 7670 that I use for plywood and softwoods that require a good slice at the outer edge for thinner veneer layers and generally softer material but you get a bit of the bat-wing effect. I use a Freud SD508 for hardwoods. You can get a very serviceable dado stack for $100 to $150 street price if you watch for sales events. MY SD508 was $150 with a coupon from Rockler, the 7670 was around $70 during an Amazon price whoopsie, and the CMT was $35 during a Lowe's clearance when they moved from CMT to Irwin . . . they are now sporting DeWalt as their dado of choice IIRC. I suggest having a few specific items on your short list and then keeping your eyes open. I have gotten so many "good deals" by simply being prepared (y).
Glenn, how did you decide which stack to use on what wood? Set up and try each one on each wood? I also have the 7670, purchased from your Amazon heads up years ago. I have found it to work great. I like it better than my Freud.

An accident of fate. I do very little cabinet making with sheet goods outside of shop fixtures. I bought the Freud dado early on due to a good sale and used it for solid wood furniture parts. I got the CMT for a steal so I started using "the cheap one" on composites and ply. The results were not-so-good on the plywoods with the CMT but, along came the 7670 at a good price on Amazon. The DeWalt leaves a bit more bat-ears than the Freud but gives me a cleaner veneered surface result so I lean toward it for veneered materials. The only reason I have three is that I couldn't pass up the deal on the CMT and the DeWalt. Multiple stacks is a luxury to be sure and not a requirement :) .