Crook Neck Source / Preference

glenn bradley

I use a crook (or bent) neck chisel for cleaning up squeeze out along perpendicular joints.
Crook Neck Chisel (1).jpg
I use it sort of like so in a slicing motion (sorry about the blurry photo).
Crook Neck Chisel (2).jpg
That being said, the one I have is 3/8" and I am looking for a wider one. A 1" is probably about right. A shorter one would be nice too; sort of like a combination between a crook neck and a butt. What say the brain-trust? Sources, favorites, experiences? TIA.

P.s. My thumb is not missing . . . it's just the pic ;-)

Last edited:
Wasn't sure what those were called, looks like "Crank Neck" or "Cranked Neck" are other terms for them. This one might be a little pricy for glue cleanup, and only in 3/4", Narex makes a 1", but the one below is a bit cheaper than it.

I would not recommend the Two Cherries chisels. While I don't have their cranked chisels, I do have their regular chisels and am not happy with their edge retention. If you want to just buy new, I guess I would lean toward the Narex brand. I don't have any Narex chisels but their reviews seem good.

Thanks everyone so far. I also have had Two Cherries and sent them down the road. I am jealous of an old Buck Bros. that a friend has but he is younger than me so I can't wait around for him to die . . . because that's the only way I'm getting my hands on it :D.

As we wind on down the woodworking road some of us tend to gather too many chisels for what we need done. Despite this I may have to give the Narex a serious look. It seems that once a random tool does a specific job for me and does it well I become married to it :rolleyes:

I appreciate any other comments and suggestions.

I have been tempted many times in buying a chisel plane, but have managed to put it off with the belief that most all its functions can be accomplished by a chisel, especially a cranked chisel. Of course that being said, don't be surprised if in the future I showcase the purchase of a LN chisel plane. The flesh is weak!

A cranked chisel is a more likely purchase for me for cleaning the bottom of such items as dados or other items where I can't use a normal chisel because the handle is in the way. I can use a router plane, but generally they don't work as well hogging out material. They are more for fine tuning a bottom.

But I have to admit that LN chisel plane sure looks sweet! You will have to keep us posted on how you like it.

Last edited: