cribbage board conundrum....

Dan Noren

Staff member
got an email from the customer who i gave that lake superior cribbage board. he and his family love it, and it has been used a lot. one thing he mentioned, is that the boards they have usually used were clockwise, and the ones i make are counterclockwise. does this really make a difference, or am i picking at a sliver? i always thought counterclockwise looked better, since horse race tracks are counterclockwise, same with nascar, and baseball....

Seeing as how you're the only person I've ever known who plays cribbage, I don't have an answer to your question, lol. I'm guessing cribbage is more of a east coast/midwest thing?

Wow it's been a while since I owned a cribbage board other than the one I actually got from you in a swap a few years back!

I'm 99% sure the below is the kind we played when I was a kid and I suppose you could easily play it in either direction. I see the bicycle three track is "kind of" clockwise (starts on the left when you're facing it anyway).

1698719363373.png

I dunno - I guess you could offer to commission one on a mobius strip with no beginning or end.... (I can't actually find one anyone has done like that... it would be a cool sculpture.. tempted..).

Played it like cray while in the Navy. Just a little after that ,now not at all. Only played on the straight boards. Never any on the curve. Did make some like Dan does of the states but never played on them.
David

only thing i found in the rules, is that players are dealt cards to the dealer's left, going clockwise, and the players play their cards in a clockwise fashion around the board, nothing about the board itself...

Vaughn said, "you're the only person I've ever known who plays cribbage". To which I reply: :rofl: Actually, I could not picture a cribbage board in my mind until Ryan's post. Faintly believe I saw a few when I was a kid, way back in the previous century.

Never played cribbage myself, but saw a number of crew members om my ship playing.... when stationed on Guam, the game of choice was Pinochle which I did play quite a bit... none since.
While living in California, played a version of whist with my aunts and uncle... here the game of choice seems to be "Hand and Foot"....

Never played cribbage myself, but saw a number of crew members om my ship playing.... when stationed on Guam, the game of choice was Pinochle which I did play quite a bit... none since.
While living in California, played a version of whist with my aunts and uncle... here the game of choice seems to be "Hand and Foot"....
I played quite a bit of pinochle when I was a kid. It was the game of choice for my grandparents, and my grandpa would take me as his partner when playing his buddies at the senior center or his lodge meetings. Those old boys were often surprised by an 8 year old kid and his grandpa whooping them at the card table, lol. I can barely remember the basics of the game, but back then he had me well trained to know his signals (based on what cards he was playing) and following his lead strategically.