Combo safety shield/respirator

Peter Rideout

Yesterday I finally dismantled the arbour that we took down a year and a half ago, part of the big barn roof restoration. It was mostly western red cedar, the world’s finest wood fire kindling.
My wife cut it up at the chop saw while I kept it coming and pulled nails. The chop saw is in the big, airy barn floor and she wore a dust mask. I did not, but I was mostly outdoors. Well, all through the night and today I’ve been coughing my lungs out. The day before I was supervising the demolition of a chimney and fireplace in one of the farm houses. Lots of silica dust, but I wore a good N95 mask with exhale valve and safety glasses, which instantly fogged up.

I’ve seen the Sampson Boat Co crew using full face respirators that appear to be slightly lighter than the ones we use on the farm for pesticide mixing and application. It seems to me this was discussed here, or somewhere, not long ago.

Any advice or helpful experience on this? I seem to have to choose between safety glasses or dust protection.

I've been using the 3M 7500 series (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_LB/p/d/b00039314/) I use a large (7503) and LOML uses a small (7501), there's also a medium (7502). The downdraft outlet with the P100 filters on the in works really well for me with glasses and a face shield over it. The downdraft exit does a bang up job of keeping it from fogging my glasses.

I'm not 100% sure what the sampson folks are using...

I think it *might* be either a 3m 6800 or 7800 series (it's certainly a 3M P100 carteridge on it anyway).. I think it's probably the 6800 looking at it, Of the two I'd consider the 7800 based on my experience with the 6500 (non silicone) vs the 7500 (silicone) for comfort of fit and quality of seal (although.. dang the price delta is something!).

For a light(er still a bit heavy) PAPR i've been seeing a lot of folks in the turning crowd liking the jsp powercap.. although I haven't tried that either..

Western red cedar allergies are no joke. I knew an older woodworker when I was a kid who had used it for several decades.. and then one day he walked out into his shop and went into anaphylactic shock. Luckily he was able to holler and get is wife to help get him to the hospital. He'd never reacted at all before but basically overnight developed a deathly allergy from accumulated exposure. He couldn't work with redwood anymore either.

I use the one Ryan recommended. I try to avoid cedars, but certainly use a respirator working on it for sure. I switched to that type rather than n95 masks when doing drywall. Much less of an issue fogging up safety glasses and goggles

What I learned on this site is the "Trend Air Shield". https://www.amazon.com/TREND-AIR-PRO-Airshield-Faceshield/dp/B002Q0Y5IU

I just this past week learned about the amazon warehouse. Supposedly returned items go through an inspection and resold at the warehouse sometimes at near half price. Items bought through the warehouse can be returned if not up to your standards. Here are the prices there: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trend+air+shield+pro+air+circulating+face+shield&i=warehouse-deals&crid=21RK6SU2L7QXK&sprefix=trend+air,warehouse-deals,94&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_9

Last edited:
Western red cedar allergies are no joke. I knew an older woodworker when I was a kid who had used it for several decades.. and then one day he walked out into his shop and went into anaphylactic shock. Luckily he was able to holler and get is wife to help get him to the hospital. He'd never reacted at all before but basically overnight developed a deathly allergy from accumulated exposure. He couldn't work with redwood anymore either.
I also developed a reaction to red cedar. Nothing real extreme, but enough to cause discomfort for several days. I avoid it or take measures to minimize inhaling it.

Trend Air Shield

Tried it.. but for a skinny tall fellow with a long neck.. it's kinda heavy to use all day especially leaning a bit over the lathe. I eventually sold mine cause I couldn't stand wearing it for any meaningful length of time (over a couple hours). Other folks really seem to like it though so I think it depends a bit on who you are and how you use it. It did do a nice job of keeping the air flowing and fairly cool inside of it.

Tried it.. but for a skinny tall fellow with a long neck.. it's kinda heavy to use all day especially leaning a bit over the lathe. I eventually sold mine cause I couldn't stand wearing it for any meaningful length of time (over a couple hours). Other folks really seem to like it though so I think it depends a bit on who you are and how you use it. It did do a nice job of keeping the air flowing and fairly cool inside of it.
I bought a used one from a friend that was giving up wood turning due to his weight and knees giving out, plus even with the Trend AS he was having serious repository issues. I like it for short period of time, but by end of day my neck is also sore, so it sits in it's box most of the time. I like the protection it offers, but not the weight of it.