Christmas Kid Projects Done...Almost

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
My very first woodworking memory was making a little cutting board for my grandma, with help and supervision from my grandpa. It was a simple piece of maple out of Grandpa's scrap pile, cut to shape with a jigsaw (called a saber saw back then), and sanded with a big (to me) sander. I was about 8 years old at the time, and still remember using the saber saw, the sander, and a power drill. More important than the cutting board, my grandpa and I made memories that I still have with me to this day. I ended up inheriting that little cutting board (as well as most of the tools in Grandpa's shop), and still use it nearly 60 years later.
First Board 800.jpg

Last Christmas I decided to give my grandnieces and grandnephews wood project kits with the intent of not only giving the kids material gifts, but also giving them the kind of memories my grandpa and I made all those years ago. The plan was for the kids to come to my shop and build the projects with my help/supervision at some point after Christmas. I wanted to have the two girls build their projects together, and the two boys do theirs together.

For the boys, I designed and pre-cut the parts for a simple tool tote made out of some birch ply that I had gathering dust in the shop. I'd been saving this wood for making jigs, but I figure at this point in my life, I'm probably not going to be making too many more jigs than I already have. I can't find any pics of the tool tote kits, but the kits were just a boring stack of cut pieces of plywood and a length of 1" hardwood dowel, stretch-wrapped together. To spice things up a bit, here's the "Gift Certificate" that I gave both boys with their kits so they could see what they were going to eventually make.
Christmas 2003 Cert to the Boys.jpg
For the girls, I designed, cut, and partially assembled simple little jewelry/trinket boxes. Here again, I dove into the scrap pile and found enough Peruvian walnut and canary wood make the pieces. I also picked up some cheap brass hinges and hasps at the local hardware store to finish them off. Since these boxes would need a bit more careful assembly, I decided to glue the parts together, but didn't cut the lid off until it was Project Day with the girls. Similar to what the boys got, here's the "Gift Certificate" I put together for each of the girls' kits. This was attached to the outside of the pre-glued box carcass, with the brass hardware packages stretch-wrapped to them:
Christmas 2003 Cert to the Girls.jpg
I did manage to get a pic of the jewelry box parts. Here's one showing the parts for one and the assembled parts for the other:
IMG_2291 - 800.jpg

I bought a couple sets of these corner clamps about a dozen years ago, and this was my first opportunity to use them. They are awesome!
IMG_2292 - 800.jpg

One pair of kids (an 10 year old boy and an 8 year old girl) live about a half mile away, but their cousins (10 year old girl and 8 year old boy) live about 90 minutes away. For this reason, we waited until the out of town kids were visiting their cousins for a few days, and also had to wait for a bit warmer weather. Last week, the stars aligned (for the most part...the weather was still chilly with brief snow flurries), so over the course of a couple of busy afternoons, we got the projects built.

Each pair of kids got a quick tour of the shop and the major power tools. I warned them all that everything in the shop can hurt you, so there would be no horseplay and they had to listen closely to my instructions. Despite a few "herding cats" moments, they were well-behaved. Everybody got a chance to try cutting a few pieces off some scrap 2 x 2 lumber on the band saw. They all also had a chance to try out the oscillating belt sander. (I think everyone's favorite thing was using the rubber sanding belt cleaner like a giant eraser.)

The boys both got to run the drill press, oscillating and orbital sanders, pneumatic stapler, drill, and cordless driver. They also tried out the jigsaw, but in the end I decided we'd not use it to cut the curved pieces for the ends of their tool totes. I ended up doing that for them with the band saw, but they did the final shaping of the curves on the oscillating belt sander. We didn't have time to put any finish on the tool totes, but more about that later.

The girls used orbital sanders and did some hand sanding, as well as applying the first coat of finish to their projects. They watched me use the table saw to cut the tops off the jewelry boxes. They also spent a fair amount of time trying out one of my woodburning pens, although we didn't use it on their projects. The next day the girls got to help install the hardware for their boxes, but I did the bulk of it due to the need for some semblance of accuracy and care. (You don't turn an 8 year old loose with a drill and a 1/32" bit and expect the bit to survive, lol.) I also sprayed a few quick coats of shellac onto the jewelry boxes overnight, so they'd be ready to assemble the next day. It was not a great finish, but we were building memories, not art gallery pieces. When their grandma (my sister) came to pick them up at the end of the second day, I sent them home with some self-adhesive velvet to line the bottoms of the jewelry boxes, and my sis was going to take them to Michael's or Hobby Lobby to pick out some mirrors to install on the inside of the lids. My sis (who's much better equipped to cut fabrics straight and square than I am) helped get the lining and mirrors installed at her house.

Having a couple of kids in a crowded shop is a handful, so I didn't get a chance to take very many photos of the work in progress. Still, I managed to grab a few along the way.

Who knew that cleaning a sanding belt could be so exciting?
IMG_2454 - 800.jpg

Here's the 8 year old girl using the band saw while her cousin looks on:
IMG_2446 - 800.jpg

And the 10 year old's turn on the band saw:
IMG_2448 - 800.jpg

The girls doing some hand sanding:
IMG_2456 - 800.jpg

By the time they came over the next day, I'd put some more finish on the boxes and all that was needed was attaching the hardware. (She did get the screwdriver straightened out before using it, lol.)
IMG_2021 - 800.jpg

Boys being boys, this pair decided early on to see who could get the most sawdust and wood chips on them. The drill press with a 1" Forstner bit was a goldmine in that regard. They were even sprinkling the wood chips on their heads. Eventually one of them got a bit of sawdust in his eye. That was my cue to put an end to the shenanigans, and a good chance to say "Remember when I told you boys that everything in the shop can hurt you? See? I was right." They calmed down after that. ;) They did enjoy getting blown off with the air hose afterward, though.
IMG_2458 - 800.jpg

On the second day, here's the 8 year old drilling pilot holes while the 10 year old scrutinizes his work:
IMG_2462 - 800.jpg

And the older one drilling pilot holes on his project while the young one takes a break. The crutches are the 10 year old's. He broke a foot a while back playing some form of sportsball.
IMG_2468 - 800.jpg

The 10 year old valiantly trying to control the sander to erase the pencil marks:
IMG_2470 - 800.jpg

All of the kids told me they had a fun time, and I was paid well in hugs. I think my goal of creating lifelong memories was reached. :thumb: I'm looking forward to doing some one-on-one projects with each of them in the future. As they get older we can take on some more advanced projects, too. I didn't get any "finished project" pics while the kids were here, because none of them were completely finished when they left after the second day. I'll add finished photos to this thread once I can get their parents to send them to me. In the meantime, I know the girls have added the velvet and mirrors to their jewelry boxes. I also got a text from one of my nephews telling me that he and his 8 year old son are in the process of staining his tool tote and putting a clear finish on it.

And here's a pic my BIL sent of him and the 10 year old getting ready to do the same. Making their own memories of working with Grandpa in the shop. ;)
IMG_2104 - 800.jpg

Last edited:
I love this Vaughn. I did this with my son and his friends when they were in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. We built a recipe card holder, pencil cups, trinket boxes and other projects that could be completed in a couple of hours. We also built wooden cars and trucks. That became a lesson in demolition derby for the little guys.

Then when I coached an Odyssey of the Mind team I taught boys and girls (12-14) how to use portable power tools so they could cut out and assemble their solutions to the problem. It was so much fun seeing the girls wield a jig saw or a sander.

Exposing kids to this world we so enjoy is one of the best things you can do for them.

This is a lot of good on you, my friend.