Chairs........ Mission Accomplished!

I had a blast in Osaka, I was worked like a rented mule and loved it :D
Everyone was great, the food was great, and free! We worked from about 8:30 AM until at least 9:30 PM all three days, and I tell you it was some job, nerve wracking, stupid busy, hurry up and wait and so very very rewarding.

The chairs got shipped to Osaka on the 18th, the same day we left at night for Osaka, I was put up in a nice room at the ANA Crowne Plaza hotel, a quick 10 min walk to the site.

The workshop area, called "54" because on regular tour that is the number of the semi trailer that the shop lives in, was sparse but well stocked with most stuff I could need. It is in a tent, but no AC, and it was hot and humid the whole time I was there, by noon each day my shirt was soaking wet, but I did not care a lick, I was enjoying myself too darn much! :eek:

kooza_osaka_54a.jpg

kooza_osaka_54b.jpg

That is 54, the silver cases hold the new chairs that I was working on, in fact during the time I was down there, until I handed the chairs off to the coach and artists, they were "My Chairs" and I was VERY protective of them.
Of course the first day things started with a visit from Mr. Murphy, of the six items shipped from Tokyo, only 5 arrived, that was three cases of chairs and my two tool boxes, the fourth case of chairs was late, and of course, it held the #1 and #2 chairs:doh:

Oh well there were other things to work on. The white stand, or tower, as it is called in the second pic inside the 54 is the new all aluminum unit that is supposed to go with the new chairs, but it had way too much flex on the plate on top, that needed to be fixed, so I got out the angle grinder and some cutting wheels and removed the welds that held the plate in place. I'll be building a new wooden top for the tower, that will NOT flex like the aluminum plate did. That should be arriving tomorrow..... with my two tool boxes.

Back to the new chairs.

One of the artists, Gongli, came in early to look at the chairs, he was very happy with what he saw, in fact he said he thought they looked perfect, very high praise indeed. He was eager to get the chairs out so they could try them. We could only try four at a time because we could not use the stage area, or the artist training tent where the safety lines are located, but we did four at time and they were very happy. Still some shims were needed, and we made copious notes and then I did some very minor but needed adjustments, as well as some changes that were not in the original plan. It seems that once they figured out they had a real wood worker with some sharp tools on site, they wanted to go the extra step of having me adjust the fit of the chairs in relation to each other.

Finally on Sunday night, after three solid days of work, fiddling and fitting we got to try all eight chairs.......

kooza_osaka_chair_8_stack_1.jpg

That is Bo, the other artist on top, with Gongli looking up the stack of chairs.

kooza_osaka_chair_8_stack_2.jpg

The coach walking by, this fellow is in his 60's and is in amazing shape, even though he spoke no English, and I no Chinese, we still communicated well, I would understand what he was talking about before the artists did.
I used my resaw bandsaw to slice up some wood to make shims, I went from 0.5mm to 1.5mm in .05mm steps, he was very pleased to get these as they have to constantly shim the chairs due to changes in the weather etc.
kooza_osaka_chair_8_stack_3.jpg

kooza_osaka_chair_8_stack_4.jpg

Here Bo is doing the last move of the trick, the chair is reversed and it actually hooks into two hooks on the back of the #7 chair, and the legs go down into notches on the #7 chair, then with the chair in that position, they do an amazing handstand.

Doing this work was hard, but very, very rewarding, and I think I might get the contract for a new set of chairs, fingers crossed!

So much more to tell, but that will have to do for now!

Everyone at Cirque was just great, very professional, but at the same time, very friendly and they know their jobs.

Cheers!

Stu - no pictures of you on top of the stack of chairs?:dunno:

Wow - that had to be rewarding. It's one thing to see your work in someone's home or office, but center stage in use by performers! Nice job!:thumb::thumb:

Fantastic Job Stu!

So when you say they have to continually shim the chairs, I'm guessing they are gluing the shims to the bottom of the legs?

And I see now that the chairs are not necessarily interchangeable, I.e. they always go up in the same order?

I guess when you are on a stack of chairs a few stories high, you want to make sure everything is 'just so'. :thumb:

Outstanding !

Great job Stu-congratulations.:thumb:

Just to clarify for me-these are the chairs you "fixed"? They look like new. Now you will likely be building new chairs?

I'm sure they appreciated your skills and knowledge and adaptability.

Well done.

Amazing that they even have a spare performer! I would have thought that that degree of strength and skill were unique, and that the act would have been built around the performer.

Is the piece protruding at an angle from some of the upper chairs where they raise and lower the chair (perhaps putting that angled piece in a pipe)?

They sure stress those chairs in ways that no earth-bound chair would be stressed.

Congratulations on both a job well done, and on having the skills and reputation to earn that job.

Last edited:
Fantastic Job Stu!

So when you say they have to continually shim the chairs, I'm guessing they are gluing the shims to the bottom of the legs?

And I see now that the chairs are not necessarily interchangeable, I.e. they always go up in the same order?

I guess when you are on a stack of chairs a few stories high, you want to make sure everything is 'just so'. :thumb:

Yes but usually they use clear tape, so they can just remove it as needed.

The chairs are all numbered and each one has a special job, the hand stand one, the one with the cane that is inserted for another handstand, etc etc.

The chairs are flexible, and must move, but the stack has to move as one unit, these artists are amazingly talented, and have no fear of this. The older artist, Gongli is 28, he started doing this chair act at 11 years old, he was doing other acrobat stuff from about 4 years old, he is one amazing guy, and we got along great. I gained their trust, they were VERY unhappy I was leaving, they want me to come back for the final fitting after the chairs are painted, do not know if that will happen or not.

All thumbs up, an amazing experience, add to that, they kept bugging me to come work for them, yes, seriously :eek: They said they could use my talents and I'd be trained up as a "Swing Tech" and do behind the scenes stuff on the show too. I got taken up to the very top of the Fuji Dome, which is an earthquake proof big top tent thing, very impressive......
kooza_fuji_dome3.jpg
I had to get all set up in a harness and then climb and climb and climb up, hooked into safety lines etc. When we finally got to the top we were walking around on some expanded mesh flooring way WAY up over the whole deal, and it did not bother me at all, in fact I think they were testing me to see if it did, seriously, they were trying to get me to jump ship :D

Last edited:
Amazing that they even have a spare performer! I would have thought that that degree of strength and skill were unique, and that the act would have been built around the performer.

Is the piece protruding at an angle from some of the upper chairs where they raise and lower the chair (perhaps putting that angled piece in a pipe)?

They sure stress those chairs in ways that no earth-bound chair would be stressed.

Congratulations on both a job well done, and on having the skills and reputation to earn that job.

Thanks Charlie and Don!

Charlie the piece you are talking about is a shim, these chairs still have to be painted, so the final fitting is not yet happened, but the guys and the artists can take care of that.

Last edited:
Stu, I just read through much of this today. What a great job you did for them. It's great that it all went well for both you and them. It must be a very rewarding feeling to have done this job. I hope you get the contract to do the new chairs as well.......that would be way cool also.

Congrats,
Tom

Stu, I don't know where I have been but :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!
Congratulations on getting the job, completing the job, fitting the chairs and all the other big situations that had to occur. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
I am in awe and proud to know you!!!

Cirque kept bugging me to come work for them, yes, seriously :eek: They said they could use my talents and I'd be trained up as a "Swing Tech" and do behind the scenes stuff on the show too.

But just think of the stories your daughter could tell at school if her Daddy seriously did run away and join the circus. That would be some serious street cred! :rolleyes:

But the life of a nomad is not an easy one!

Great job, looks like you had some serious fun. I didn't realize that a road trip was part of the contract. How many tools did you ship? You mentioned your bandsaw... that has to be something you'd done BEFORE you went on the trip, right?

That's just too cool for words, Stu. :thumb: I'm with Art...this is your chance to run away and join the circus! I'd do it, but I don't handle heights well. ;)