CDB CNC - Jtech 2.8w Laser, Working once again!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Jealous of all the laser work I've seen here lately, so decided to add one to the CDB CNC.

I had an old jtech photonics 2.8w laser laying around. I decided instead of rushing out to buy a new one, I should get this one working as a test bed and see if I need an upgrade later.

So drew up a quick detachable laser mount, ran some cables, added some quick connects and one reversing of a connection later, I've got it running!

Now to figure out how to focus it and use it again. lol.

1690927201941.png

Spoke too soon. It 'works', but it does not work very well. I remember last time I used it thinking that it was really kind of running out of steam.

Time to get a new laser. Now I just need to figure out what to get. So many diode lasers out there and I'm sure some of them are over rated and over priced.

Spoke too soon. It 'works', but it does not work very well. I remember last time I used it thinking that it was really kind of running out of steam.

Time to get a new laser. Now I just need to figure out what to get. So many diode lasers out there and I'm sure some of them are over rated and over priced.
I love my Atezr. You can get the 5 watt for $140. including the power supply. on the other hand mine a 40 watts more power is better.

you might want to think about getting a small aquarium air pump and use it for air assist, I see the unit you got has a fitting for that purpose, it will make the unit last longer and will give you cleaner engraving. BTW unless I am doing I have the power down to 20 -30 % power. I only do higher power if I an cutting or engraving on metal.

Good advice. I've got an aquarium pump I use for my K40 I could use for this. Also have a 12 volt valve. Was thinking of just hooking it up to my shop Air Compressor with the pressure dialed way down.

Worked on adding a bracket to mount a mister attachment for doing aluminum. Supposedly you can mist with isopropyl alcohol and it doesn't really make too big of a mess, but helps with ejecting the chips and cooling the bit. I figure I can use that same hose to connect to the laser when using that.

Going to have to redo my control panel though I think. I have switches for coolant, vacuum, and mister. Think I need to add a switch for turning the laser on and off. I might want to add buttons for cycle start, feed hold and stop too.

Good think I just ordered 16 rolls of filament, lol.

I'm just hoping I can engrave faster than the old 2.8watt unit did. I'm pretty sure I remember Jtech had some issues with 2.8watt units around the time I ordered that one and is why it didn't last long. I had the wattage on that dialed back to what was a supposedly safe level but I guess these diodes don't last forever. I did use the heck out of that little unit though.

from what I have read the biggest problem with the higher wattage laser is burning out the lens. I have two spares so I can avoid down time. There's a company called Hemsley out of England that who make an upgraded lends that I got them from. They come highly recommended, there cheap only 3 or 4 bucks each.

from what I have read the biggest problem with the higher wattage laser is burning out the lens. I have two spares so I can avoid down time. There's a company called Hemsley out of England that who make an upgraded lends that I got them from. They come highly recommended, there cheap only 3 or 4 bucks each.
Excellent. I'll check those out. Thanks!