Building a Bench on the Back of the SawStop *Almost Done*

Yeah, but,,,:eek:

Did you see the size of those "Termite" holes all over the bench? :dunno: Wow. They must be huge in Japan, huh? :huh:

Just kidding Stu. :rofl: That looks like it should do you great service for a long time. :thumb:

And, some of us older fellas need a little chair time every now and again, right? :rofl:

Aloha, Tony

Yeah, but,,,:eek:

Did you see the size of those "Termite" holes all over the bench? :dunno: Wow. They must be huge in Japan, huh? :huh:

Just kidding Stu. :rofl: That looks like it should do you great service for a long time. :thumb:

Thanks Tony, I think this is one of my better ideas, that has actually worked out better than I envisioned it :eek:

Tony Baideme said:
And, some of us older fellas need a little chair time every now and again, right? :rofl:

Aloha, Tony

Hey, speak for yourself Tony :eek: ;) :D :rofl:

Some of us YOUNGER guys need a chair to set and think in too ;) :D

Today I did get the self under the bench for the small lathe built, this will let me use my large lathe at sometime in the NEAR future....... I hope..... :(

mini_lathe_shelf_1.JPG mini_lathe_shelf_2.JPG
I've been meaning to do this for some time, but did not get around to it, this will be much better, cleans up some much needed space!

mini_lathe_shelf_3.JPG
Oh yeah, I put some new floor mats down too, they are SWEET :headbang:

Looks great Stu, but you know someone has to say that your shop is way to clean...might as well be me!:wave:

I think I saw some roughed bowls on a lower shelf in one of the pics...you know they aren't going to turn themselves! :eek::D:rofl:

I just clean up for the pics, and those are new NEW floor mats, so it really does look clean!

The Dungeon is one place that I have total control over, so I like to keep it clean.

Cheers!

PS them bowls will get turned at some point, I do hope that it is soon.

Cheers!

does this mean the Aparto II is done?

Sure, I finished that weeks ago........... :rolleyes:

Today is a national holiday here in Japan, "National Health and Sports Day" here, the Dojo is closed so Gabriel cannot go there and I know that he is not working today either, so instead of going to the Aparto to cut stuff and make noise on a day off for him, I took a day off, so to speak from the reno :dunno:

I did have a visitor today, Peter Rideout was in town again on business and he dropped by, he came on the >> 14th of October last year << for a visit, so you can look at the pic on that thread, as we forgot to take one today :doh:

Cheers!

I just wanted to post a couple of pics of the bench in use.

This board is going into the hole in the wall between the living area and the kitchen in the Aparto, kind of a mini second counter. The wall is thicker on one end than the other, I had to taper the board about 1cm from on end to the other on one side to get the fit I wanted, so it doesn't look odd.

SN3D0221.JPG
I'm using my leg vice and the sliding deadman with a hold fast to hold the board in place while I plane it down, I just marked the taper I wanted on both sides and then started planing, worked just fine!

SN3D0222.JPG
Here I'm using two hold fasts to hold the board while I cut a notch in each end, again, the hold fasts certainly hold and they are certainly fast! :thumb:

SN3D0223.JPG
I then put a sacrificial board on the bench top and after I'd drilled out most of the wood I chiseled out the rest.

SN3D0224.JPG
Finally I put my round-over bit in the router and used my Incra setup, quick and easy!

SN3D0226.JPG SN3D0227.JPG SN3D0225.JPG
Here it is at the Aparto for a test fit, it still needs to be sanded and finished etc, but I think it looks good, and you don't notice the taper on the board, or in the wall, mission accomplished!

This back bench is really working well for me. If I had the space, I'd surely have a stand alone bench, but with the space I have, I think this hybrid bench is as good as I'll get.

Cheers!

Stu can you advise me i am at the stage with my bench of adding the sliding deadman to the design. I am wondering what sort of thickness the wood needs to be to make sure that it slides and works. Looking at your pics it looks like yours is in the range of 1.5 inches or so. Do you think it would work with 1 inch thick stock and what sort of angle did you put on the slide. I presume a standard 45 degree cut v groove top and bottom?:dunno:

Rob, if you look through the thread, I'm sure there are some pics of the sliding deadman construction. The wood is two slabs of 3cm thick wood, so 6cm which is about 2 3/8" thick. If you go any thinner than that, the hold fasts may not grip. If you don't plan on using hold fasts in your sliding deadman, just a peg to hold the weight of the long end of a board, then I guess that 1" thick would be OK. Yes a 45 on top of the bottom deadman was all that I needed, with a corresponding 45 on the top of the stretcher.

Works well, slides easily and I can remove it easily as well.

Cheers!

Rob

If you can get hold of the latest issue of Pop Woodworking (the LVL Gluebo on the cover) the Schwartz goes into the detail of a sliding dead(woman)man as well as the leg vice.