Blue Diamond 180D Kiln

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned a week or so ago that I bought a used kiln for $100. It looks to be about 40 years old, and the manufacturer has since gone out of business. The element channels at the bottom are probably the worst damage, but overall the bricks are in decent shape.
IMG_0412.jpegIMG_0413.jpegIMG_0409.jpegIMG_0408.jpegIMG_0411.jpegIMG_0414.jpeg

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on kiln repair and use. I removed the covers and have been checking over the wiring and documenting the schematics. Looking closely there are no wire crimp/ring connectors used.
IMG_0464.jpegIMG_0466.jpegIMG_0468.jpeg

All of the elements and wiring will be replaced with proper connectors, and probably both infinite switches. The Kiln Sitter unit that controls the shut down of the kiln when it reaches temperature looks to be in good condition, just needs some of the consumable parts replaced, which are cheap and readily available.

I will need to replace many of the screws, the only threads left of the ones holding the cover were n the cover itself.
IMG_0467.jpeg

Anyway, may be a bit before it bubbles up to the top of my project list to actually rebuild. My wife has to go through and sort out many of the boxes from storage, as they are in the way of where it will be used anyway. ;)

Oh yeah…I added a new pottery forum if anyone didn’t notice.:)