Big Sled in Use

glenn bradley

I have shown this before during other threads. Just to stir up some conversation and hopefully provide some value I am posting it separately. I don't use this beast often but it hangs on pegs near the tablesaw and is handy now and again.
Big Sled in Use (1).jpg
When you need to cut larger panels the sled comes off the saw quite a bit. To make things less of a juggling act this support tongue is used.
Big Sled in Use (2).jpg

Big Sled in Use (3).jpg
I also have a piece of stock that is the same height as the sled base. A couple of rare earth magnets and some plastic dip smeared on for traction support larger panels that extend beyond the sled.
Big Sled in Use (4).jpg

Big Sled in Use (5).jpg
The whole affair looks like so.
Big Sled in Use (6).jpg
This makes nice, true, larger panel cuts a snap.
Big Sled in Use (7).jpg
I often do these cuts with a guided circ saw but I am doing multiple projects right now. There seems to be stuff everywhere.
Big Sled in Use (8).jpg
At any rate I get the panels I need and can carry on.
Big Sled in Use (9).jpg
It took longer to take the pics than it did to cut the panels ;) . My thought in posting is that this puts a large sled example in an easily searchable place for future or returning visitors.

Last edited:
I have a sled about that size that I've only needed a few times in the past 15+ years, but when I did, it was very handy. Unfortunately it's pretty buried when it's stored (out of necessity and due to its infrequent use), but I might steal your inboard support trick if I have something come up where I need the sled for more than one or two cuts. :thumb: