Bandsaw Dust Collection - Status Report

glenn bradley

I have emptied my cyclone bin at least three times since I have changed bandsaw blades. This includes spoil from all the material used for the Linen Cupboard Doors, some in between stuff, and the work so far on the Pair of Dressers project.

My bandsaw collection points are like so . . .
BS-DC-Under-Table-Status (1).jpg
In addition to the factory bottom chamber collection point (which I modified a bit restricting the throat and adding a brush) I use what is basically an add-on shroud like so . . .
BS-DC-Under-Table-Status (2).jpg
At any rate, after all this time the amount of spoil that escaped collection and made it to the bottom of the lower wheel area is this . . .
BS-DC-Under-Table-Status (3).jpg
The Cisco Systems sign is just an imprint on some sheet magnet that I use to block the factory lower collection point. I just wanted to share the status of this type of collection for those that may be considering it.

My small bandsaw's collection is still sub-par. Taking these pics got me thinking about it again. Especially since I am about to use it a lot. I took some scrap ply and re-used the magnets from the previous attempt.
Small BS DC Retrofit (1).jpg
The box will capture the lower guides.
Small BS DC Retrofit (2).jpg

Small BS DC Retrofit (3).jpg
It was better but I was still getting stuff carried from the lower compartment up to the upper compartment and then spraying out along the spine. I wye'd in the factory lower collection point.
Small BS DC Retrofit (4).jpg
This seems better still. Time will tell.