Ashleigh's 4H woodworking project, a bench

My first granddaughter, Ashleigh aka, Ash. She wanted to build a bench. She decided on a style finally last Wednesday. Lou took her to Lowe's Thursday morning and we built it Thursday afternoon evening. With the younger kids, I do not have the opportunities to take as many photos, so some steps with the saw and stuff get missed because I am helping them. Here is her woodworking project, a bench.

original benc design.jpg

This is what Ashleigh found and said she wanted to build. I only have chipboard, not nice plywood for spacers so she brought cut offs from a truss plant and she cut them to length on the sliding compound miter saw and then we used the cut offs from the legs for spacers.

the legs and spacers.jpg

Here is Ashleigh. Our cross country runner, track (she prefers x country, says running circles is boring) and choir girl among her 4H activities. She qualified for state at her second cross country meet last year (she was in 6th grade). She brought home a medal from state solo contest. Here she is doing her "Vanna White" impression showing her legs and spacers.

The year of 2x4's.jpg

And here is her pile of seat boards. I guess it is the year of the 2x4 projects this year between Ashleigh and CJ.

As their barn burnt down completely back in March, the kids are also building things for 4H that will replace lost items from their old barn. Ashleigh wanted to build a bench for their tack/feed room in their new barn. So we walked around and measured chairs, benches and seats around the farm and came up with the height she preferred. She really wanted to be able to straddle it also, it is a tad wide for that but it is stable which is important to me!

This glue is sticky!.jpg

This glue is really sticky!!! There was a wet rag for her to wipe her fingers on.

Predrilling.jpg

Pre drilling the holes. Started with a new box of drill bits and between CJ and Ashleigh and all of the holes they had to drill in their two projects, NO BROKEN BITS!!! I still have a complete set in the box!! Those little drill bits are so fragile to young hands. I was proud of them and this accomplishment. Now I will probably go out and drop the box and lose one or next time I use a little bit I will break it! :cool: Did not break a drill bit!.jpg

Very similar picture, but different hole and same drill bit!! Like CJ, Ash is very focused on the task at hand and really wants to do her best.

Ash is very driven to succeed.

Impact for screws.jpg

They are growing up and getting skills. Their abilities with the drill, impact, sawzall, jigsaw and chop saw are really starting to shine. I take it for granted but the ability to pull the trigger and push the impact against the screw is tough to learn. No stripped screws this year with CJ or Ash on their projects.

Wiping squeeze out.jpg

After running in the two screws per leg and spacer she had to deal with glue squeeze out. She isn't a girly girl, the conversations and just fun being one on one with the grands doing these projects is opportunities to share and learn about each other and our past family members.

More glue.jpg

CJ and Ash are like my brother, work all day and stay clean. Me, I could get dirt on me going to the car to go to church! She did a great job and didn't make a mess. Amazing when they have to clean up their own squeeze out how more careful they are in not using excessive amounts!

Last board.jpg

Last board. Almost had to get a step so she could run in the last screws!

Ash's completed bench.jpg

Ashleigh's completed bench. I didn't put a tape measure on it before it left so I don't even know the completed dimensions. If I remember correctly, she chose 18" for seat height.

Ash on her bench.jpg

She was tickled to death. Lou and Ash went this morning to get the seat boards, by 7:30 PM she had a completed bench.

Ash, Lou and Bear.jpg

Ashleigh and Lou Ann. Oh and Bear. She looks like a black lab but her mom was a golden retriever and her dad was a Rottweiler. She has become one of the best farm dogs we have ever had on our farm. Her agility and ability to jump onto items for her size and weight are amazing. Don't mess with the kids or Lou, Bear is awful fond of her family members!

Ash, Fina Jo, Lou and Jon.jpg

The whole gang fits!! Left to right, owner/builder Ashleigh, Fina Jo, Lou Ann (mamaw) and Jon. Rare not to see smiles on these kids faces.

Ash and Bop on bench.jpg

Ashleigh and one tired dude!

Attachments

• Ash, Lou and Bear.jpg
    Ash, Lou and Bear.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
Wet hat.jpg

Rare photo of fat old man without his hat! Messing with Ash and letting her feel a wet hat! Bear had to inspect due to her squeals when I put the hat on her!

Ashleigh Sanding.jpg

Ashleigh had an understanding of the sanding procedures as she felt CJ's progress on his wavy flag. Rolling all the contact edges.

Ash sanding.jpg

This sander has a set of lights, green, two greens, yellow and red. Green and two greens is good pressure, yellow pushing a little hard, red, pushing to hard. Great sander for the kids to learn with.

Ash feeling how smooth it is becoming.jpg

Ash really feeling and appreciating her hardwork. In the background, Fina is helping Fina Jo cut her circles out for her woodworking project.

Ash on her bench.jpg

Last picture, Ashleigh and her smile with a job well done. Her bench is sanded and she took it home to polyurethane it. Next time I see it will be Tuesday at check in for fair building (non animal) projects. Thanks for following along.