Accounting Software...?

Stuart Ablett

[FONT=&quot]Invoice or accounting Software

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What do you guys in business use?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've been using Invoice2Go but recently it has been letting me down.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'd like something that I can use across platforms and on the go, on my android phone, for example.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What are you guys using?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks
[/FONT]

Stu best option i have come across and use myself is Quickbooks.
You could use it for the L Store, Property Management and Craftsman businesses and only have to have one accounting package.

They also have an online version now which has integration capabilities if you up to needing that.

I know an IT company where the owner a pretty clever guy did a bunch of research before making his choice and he uses it to run a multi office multi province company one of which is in Quebec and u should know by now a great deal is different in QC.

Also gets easier when tax time comes as its set for accountants taking a copy working with it and then it can be reintegrated when he/she is done.

Has a bunch of vendors that make add ons to it that allow for all sorts of automation or integration.

Big community using it and supporting it.

Another vote for QuickBooks.

Been a while, but when I had my property management business, I used it for over 900 accounts. Relatively easy/short setup and learning curve, and all the invoicing and tracking I ever needed. Also keeps track of employee payroll and taxes.. Reasonably priced, too.

I used Quickbooks with my business.

I use Quicken for my personal finances, and would use it for a tiny business, but it is not something to use for invoices or tracking customer orders. Also, Quicken is NOT associated with intuit any longer. It does work on mobile devices.

I used to use QB but found it to be overkill and a maintenance headache for a business as small (minute, miniscule, infantesimal) as mine. I now use QB Self Employed online through my Etsy site. ($5 a month). It is linked directly to my Etsy store and captures and categorizes all the income and expenditures (fees, postage, etc.). I also have it linked to my business credit and debit cards and it automatically tracks all my mileage as well via an app on my iPhone. Maintenance is a breeze and I was able to send a direct link to my accountant at tax time.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

This is only for my business.

{Rant Mode ON}
The Liquor shop has a full on accounting, retail sales point etc software that includes the cash register, the dot matrix printer (no, really) for invoices the computer monitor etc. It has to be.... sorry let me say that again.... IT HAS TO BE completely OFFLINE because of fears of hacking etc. You see we sell Tobacco and Alcohol, and the government get a LOT of taxes from both, so you can imagine how far up our you know what they climb EVERY YEAR at tax time. We have a pro accountant who we pay a lot of money to go over it all monthly and then file our tax return with the government, as he is certified. Four times a year we have to inventory EVERY bottle or can of booze and EVERY pack of smokes.... FOUR TIMES!! No really, you do not want to get me started on that business... :doh:
{Rant mode OFF}

Sorry about that, it's a bit of a hobby horse for me... :eek:

I need something to keep track of costs, and be able to issue invoices and estimates, I want to do it cross platform, Mac, Windoze, Android iPad etc.

I'll take a look at QuickBooks.

I was using Invoice2Go which was OK, but they had this annoying problem of not being able to add a not of any length to an invoice, several of my customers wanted this, as there were different invoice for different parts of the company and it could be confusing which invoice went where. Another thing was in sending the invoice I could only have one customer email address on the invoice, even though I had to send the invoice to the accountant, the manager of said section of the company and often to the CEO as well, major pain. They also have this horrible habit of of updating the software often, and when they do, it turns on all the functions that you have turned off, like payment by PayPal. This happened recently and I did not notice a client paid a fairly large invoice, like $4000 via PayPal, them...... people.... then held the money for 21 days and took 3.6% off the top, that was something like $150 for the pleasure of them holding my money, like I had done something wrong for 21 days (two 45 min long phone calls arguing with these idiots reduced the wait time from 30 days, to 21 days).
I had the stupid PayPal function turned off and they software upgraded, automatically, and the function was turned on, my client saw an easy way (for them) to pay me so they did. Yeah that was the final straw for Invoice2Go, it has to go.

Sorry but when you pay for something and it lets you down like this, yeah... not happy.

I'll look at QuickBooks
Cheers

Stu,

When I had my business I also had an accountant, to do payroll, taxes and things of that sort. With Quickbooks I just gave him the updated QB file and he did everything else.

I also had another software called toolbox that was developed by the franschise to handle the invoices, and work scheduling. As a service company I sent technicians out to do home repairs. I had 4 tech's doing as many as 3-6 jobs per day. Toolbox was linked to Quickbooks for the sales and invoices.

I never used the invoice part of Quickbooks.

I don't have any immediate recommendations as its been way to long, but I've found the conversation pretty interesting. When I was still paying attention to this sort of thing Quickbooks was generally considered a toy accounting system only good for little side things like what Ted and Rennie are doing. Its really interesting to see how much they've a) been able to improve and b) change perceptions.

Reading what you're doing I think you really want an Invoicing system which is only one aspect of an accounting system. I might consider trial running some invoice specific applications like https://www.invoiceninja.com (not a recommendation just an example.. like I said I'm way way out of this business).

Like Leo, run accounting and invoicing on different software.

As far as invoicing goes the accounting software only needs to see Invoice#: Customer: Date: $Amount. Just 4 entries. The software generates the $Tax: $Total Sale.

The invoicing software, I use a Filemaker database, does every thing else. For each job the: quote (including costs and from whom), work order, invoice, and any information I want to keep; is in one record.

Last edited: