Search results

1. Toni Ciuraneta

Removing mold stains from hard maple?

Hi guys. Some months ago my shop was flooded due to an extremely strong storm and a badly designed gutter. Luckily no tools or machines were damaged because they are all on casters and the water level was only 1.5 inches but most of the wood and wood parts that I had standing on the floor were...
  2. Toni Ciuraneta

Caliper case

After some time out of ww due to circumstance too long to explain here, I got back to my small CNC machine and made a case for my digital caliper. The live hinges of the original plastic one finally gave up so I attached a couple of small hinges with rivets but the result was not of my liking so...
  3. Toni Ciuraneta

Have a look at his tools and tool rest at minute 6 of the video.

I run acroos this video and I thought it would be interesting to share it here.
  4. Toni Ciuraneta

Best way to assemble chipboard.

Hi guys. I am on the process of designing a flip cart to hold my spindle sander and my benchtop router ( that I also have to refurbish). I have enough salvaged material of chipboard of 20mm (0.78") thickness with melamine on both sides. The cart will look as on the attached quick sketch (not...
  5. Toni Ciuraneta

Planes storage suggestions needed! Please!

Hi guys. On the pic you can see how I keep my planes. As I am undergoing a major shop reorganisation, I would like to have a different way of keeping them as the way they are they pick up a lot of wooddust, specially those that I do not use often. I am thinking about putting aside those that I...
  6. Toni Ciuraneta

Being a scavenger definitely does pay off.

Before retiring a was collecting stuff that they were throwing away at the company where I worked. Now having time to work at the shop I decided to put it to use. I got a bunch of 2 meter long aluminium profiles, a dismantled desk and some sheets of industrial grade plywood of different...
  7. Toni Ciuraneta

Suggestions on cabinets.

Hi guys. I have a void under the stairs that take me to my shop that I want to optimize its use. So far I have it divided in three shelves, but as it is so deep (1240mm /48.81") it makes it difficult to reach the end of them. So I though about making two side sliding cabinets either mounted on...
  8. Toni Ciuraneta

The making of a Kuntz dovetailed infill plane.

Almost by hazard I found this video on youtube. For those who are interested it is good to see and at the same time know the face of the man who makes those jewel planes. I don’t know if I’am right as the guy signs them as Frietzche.
  9. Toni Ciuraneta

Where on earth is my draft?

I started to create the poll draft for the challenge, I saved it, but now I cannot find a way to retrieve it from wherever it may be. Am I doing anything wrong or is it that my PC is not working properly?
  10. Toni Ciuraneta

CHALLENGE ENTRIES HERE!

Hi guys. This is my entry, as I mentioned it is not finished, so I disqualify myself, but at least you can imagine how will it look. First I glued two boards to have enough thickness, and I drew a rough outline of the shapes I wanted. Then I roughed them out with the bandsaw, and hand saws...
  11. Toni Ciuraneta

Toni's challenge: THIS IS NOT MY ENTRY

Hi guys. To get some conversations going on I thought to post this as an hommage. Thi coat hanger was made about 70 or more years ago by the man who taught me to carve, and he was like a second father to me. I remember going to his home when I was about 6 or 7 years old, my eyes were at the...
  12. Toni Ciuraneta

Comissioned birthday box

It is for a woman that will turn 80 in April. Lid in Mongoy wood. Bottom in hard Maple Interior lining in natural cork sheet. Buffered to shine and buffered again applying carnauba wax. I will ask 50€ . Is it too cheap or too expensive?
  13. Toni Ciuraneta

Teeth fairy box

Just made this small box for a friend who’s daughter is going to drop her first tooth. Except for the engraved tooth it can also be done in a lathe. Sanded, buffered, and buffered again applying carnauba wax. Woods are Samanguila for the base and basswood for the lid. It can hold five 1€ coins.
  14. Toni Ciuraneta

Inserting pictures in polls?

Hi there. As the deadline for the Toni’s challenge is approachig, I wonder wether is it possible to create a poll with pictures or thumb nails inserted for each option. I believe that in this way people would easily remember to what project they are voting and also compare them having the...
  15. Toni Ciuraneta

Radial Vcarve texture on circular box lid. Updated spin-off!

Hi guys. Probably you all know how to do this, even then I thought I could post it to find out if there is an easier way. I drew a circle and then I made a narrow triangle of 5º that later on I copied 36 times at full 360º. Then I chose a 12º V bit with a Vcarve path. The triangles were longer...
  16. Toni Ciuraneta

American taste for furniture?

Hi guys. I have been thinking about a way to start some sort of debate that will enlighten me about what is the American people taste as far as furniture style/design is concerned. From outside and from the commissions I see some of you get, I have the feeling that, most of the historical...
  17. Toni Ciuraneta

CNC made Christmas presents

Hi guys. As I am getting acquainted with my CNC machine I thought that a good practice would be making some Christmas presents, so I made these boxes, for my two nieces and my SIL. Woods used are beech, hard maple+ mongoy and hard maple+pearwood in pics order.
  18. Toni Ciuraneta

How to cut and dry lumber. (updated)

Hi guys, a neighbour, has fallen down a holm oak, and I asked him for some wood. Unfortunately, it had alredy cut it down to firewood size so no posibility of getting long boards. But as the wood is very hard, it is good for tool handles and body planes. In here it was the preferred wood for all...
  19. Toni Ciuraneta

Today I learnt two things that suck. (updated with PRV)

Hi guys. As mentioned I learned two things that suck, one in the good (and literal) sense, and the other on the bad sense. I am playing with my new cnc machine and I want to make a sign for my sister. Firts I tried with chipboard but soon I saw that the inner layers or wooddust were not as fine...
  20. Toni Ciuraneta

Warped door

Hi Guys. I am working on a cabinet that I started a year ago. I had all the pieces cut since then and now when I made a dry fit one of the doors is warped or curved, quite badly (see pic) At first I was scared, but after double checking everyhting I found that it seemed so bad because I fixed...