Search results

1. Peter Rideout

Just curious…

I sure don’t want to trigger a political discussion, but once again, I’m curious and mildly inconvenienced. Once in a while we have dealings with small businesses in the US who won’t ship outside that country. Today I sent off an automotive electronic module to a small company that repairs...
  2. Peter Rideout

How cold is it?

Our younger son, in the industrial electric trade, is on a work site in northern Alberta. It was -38C there this morning, windchill was -47. He said the trickiest thing was steering his car on the 7 minute drive to the work site. It seemed like the power steering fluid was more like a solid...
  3. Peter Rideout

Big face frame glue up.

I’ve been working away on a nine foot tall bookcase for the upstairs hallway for several weeks. I finally got the face frame glued up today. It’s clear eastern white pine,, which will be painted to match the upstairs trim. This is the back side. I dry fit the pieces and tacked them in place as I...
  4. Peter Rideout

Combo safety shield/respirator

Yesterday I finally dismantled the arbour that we took down a year and a half ago, part of the big barn roof restoration. It was mostly western red cedar, the world’s finest wood fire kindling. My wife cut it up at the chop saw while I kept it coming and pulled nails. The chop saw is in the...
  5. Peter Rideout

DC canister install

Well, our boys have come through again with a mega gift for Christmas, a 3hp dual canister dust collection unit. Does anyone have a hint for stretching that rubber rim of the canister over the DC flange? It’s going on very hard. Thanks
  6. Peter Rideout

Taunton Press

I’m wondering how many here have subscriptions or dealings with Taunton Press. Drawn by some very interesting teaser articles on social media, I signed up for an annual “all inclusive membership” with Fine Homebuilding. It’s not going well so far and I have not been able to access the promised...
  7. Peter Rideout

Orchard Furniture

This is why I like having the big space in the barn floor. Some of our apple pickers still prefer to use these traditional wooden ladders for their ease of placement. I’m just replacing a broken rung with a hand shaped one from the scrap bin.
  8. Peter Rideout

Reclaiming Space

Motivated by Darren’s good work today, I was inspired to come into the shade and address this issue during the hottest part of the day. I haven’t made much progress dealing with the residual mess from last winter’s roofing project and my wife wants a big bookcase for the upstairs hall. There Is...
  9. Peter Rideout

Stain matching advice

Hello Everyone My wife fell heir to some nice old furniture recently and has started some stripping and refinishing. What you see here are two of the feet from a pedestal dining table, probably white oak, which she has stripped and sanded to 220 She removed some rickety old casters and had me...
  10. Peter Rideout

Model making Question

My wife is assembling a doll house size needlepoint Cabriole leg foot stool in mahogany. Clamping will be impossible. Will the Weld Bond have a quick enough set (high tack) to stick them, or would super glue be a better choice?
  11. Peter Rideout

Tool Valuation

Okay Guys, I need some serious help here. A friend, who is a picker, showed up in my shop with these two treasures this morning. I had asked him 3-4 years ago to keep an eye out for a good old slick and framing chisels He left them here to distract me and for me to find a fair price!! What are...
  12. Peter Rideout

Stu’s Izu Laundry Room Reno

I’m just shining a light on a neat project that our friend Stu is working on for a client in Izu, a couple of hours south of Tokyo. It’s his usual, very meticulous work, while not taking himself too seriously! Interesting to see how he deals with “design opportunities” that crop up as the job...
  13. Peter Rideout

Lots of Vertical Space

We are making steady but slow progress on the barn roof repairs and the weather has been mostly fine, although we are conscious of winter looming. Shayne has removed the worst boards, some of which weren’t all that great when the guys put them up there in 1915. It’s a contrast to how well...
  14. Peter Rideout

Curved Fascia Trim

Hello Everyone We’re doing some more exterior work on the big barn, including the second half of re-roofing and now the end fascia boards (I think these are actually the rake boards?). The photo is the top piece, straight for first 5’, then begins the curve of the gothic roof. It’s a very...
  15. Peter Rideout

Cookie Cutting

Okay guys, here’s a new chapter in our 2021 urban logging theme. We’ve removed an old sugar maple that was threatening to fall onto the house during some hurricane and are stabilizing the big pieces for sawing. Looks like there might be some interesting figured wood and crotches there. Our son...
  16. Peter Rideout

End sealing logs

Hi Guys These oak logs we’re buying were cut two days ago and are now at roadside. I’m conscious of needing to get the ends sealed up soon, as we won’t likely mill them until late summer. My preferred End Sealer from LV is out of stock until mid July! (This really brings all the supply chain...
  17. Peter Rideout

Toni!! What’s this wood?

Toni When we visited you and Marisol a few years ago, you gave me this block, which I think you used for accents on one of your works of art. I believe it’s native to Africa. It’s very dense. Can you remind me what the species is? You might want to delay your answer a day or two while others...
  18. Peter Rideout

A little preview

By way of checking in after some time away, here’s a little restoration project we hope to get underway in the next few months. It’s a 36 inch Cowan & Co bandsaw, built in Galt, Ontario in the early 1900’s. It’ll be fun, but not quick, as there are many other projects on the books. I’ll keep...
  19. Peter Rideout

Admin advice request

Good morning everyone. I need to change my FWW preferences in the next few days, to a new email address. Can someone give me some pointers on how to do this? I’m still not used to the Tapatalk format and I have no idea what my forum password is. Thanks ! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Peter Rideout

Spatula Wood

The dog is a wonderful companion with a great personality, but he has a vindictive streak that, at six years old, you’d think he would have grown out of by now. This is that favourite of kitchen spatulas that always comes to hand for stir frying whatever. We got it in a kitchen store in our...