House updates for the weekend.

This weekend was less productive for the house, but between moving my daughter to a new apartment and finishing moving the last of our stuff from the town home and cleaning it up there was no rest for the weary. I did get the old cabinet that surrounded the previous location of the fridge removed. I removed the two cabinets from above the fridge and used a piece of the side panel to replace the side of the single cabinet. There will be new cabinets going in beside this one, so probably wasn't necessary, but plan to trim it out until those are built.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the first draft of the new cabinets. Will be painted black to contrast the bead board around the soffits.
attachment.php

Had to run some wiring last weekend and ended up having to cut out the drywall to drill through the plate below. Got that patched up and primed. The wall had a very visible joint, so tapered it out a bit to make it blend in as well.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Image00017.jpg
    Image00017.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Image00023.jpg
    Image00023.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Image00022.jpg
    Image00022.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Image00021.jpg
    Image00021.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Image00020.jpg
    Image00020.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Image00019.jpg
    Image00019.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Image00018.jpg
    Image00018.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 104
The plan looks nice! :thumb:

But is that a heating register right under the fridge! :eek:
Bummer, that is an unfortunate placement.

Yup, will probably be moving that when I get ready to install the new cabinets. That area of the house has a crawl space and the duct is a flex duct, so just need to pick a new spot and patch the sub-floor and re-lay the laminate in that corner. Next year we'll probably be replacing the laminate with tile, so may just do it then.

Thanks for the compliments all.

Is that a Rat Terrier or Jack Russell? Won't it be nice to be moved in and kick back and relax!?!

She's a Rat Terrier, not that she knows what a rat is, nor that she's a dog.

I'm not sure my wife's going to let me kick back and relax for a while, she's got a party coming up and things have to be ready. After the house is done, I've got to focus on sealing up the shop and getting it organized. Been watching craigslist for a shop stove (wood fired), but saw Sutherlands had one that wasn't too high priced and for not much more I could go with a freestanding pellet stove.

Today was less productive than I would have liked, but my brother and I got about 30' of gas line ran to the kitchen for the new stove that is to be delivered next week (sorry, no pics). These projects always take more time than you think with all the sizing and having to cut custom pieces.:rolleyes:

My wife took our old kitchen table and spray painted it and the chairs yesterday. Today she reupholstered the cushions with some material that ordered from the same lady that made the curtains that she found on etsy. She got a heck of a deal on the curtains too, got all 5 panels for what one panel would have cost at the local stores. I'll be making a new table top eventually to replace the existing. It's way too small and will be making it about 1' larger in diameter as I always bump my knees on the bottom ring.
attachment.php

I also got the entry trim put on around the wall that we built for the refrigerator bump-out and got pics hung through-out the house.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Image00024.jpg
    Image00024.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Image00025.jpg
    Image00025.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Well, the shop got it's first real project...got started on the two cabinets for the kitchen last night. I ended up using birch plywood instead of MDF to keep the weight down. Rough cut all the pieces on sawhorses with the skil-saw, then did final cuts and dados on the table saw. Will work on face frames tonight and start slapping on paint.

The one on the right will house a keyboard tray as well as a wall mounted tv/monitor above it. I like having a computer in the kitchen for looking up recipes and the weather. My wife is wanting to put tile on the tops of the lower cabinets, won't be used for food prep or anything, just decoration.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cabinets1.jpg
    cabinets1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 79
I did take some time to setup shelving and get some room in the shop this weekend...more to come on that.

This weeks house updates were getting the kitchen cabinets installed and making face frames. I've held off on installing the face frames as I've had a couple of broken joists to fix in the crawl space, which turned out to be 3 broken joists. I'm fixing these before I install the face frames as one cabinet is shimed off the floor about 1/2" on one side and 1/4"on the other. The second is flush on one side, but the other is 1/4" high, so fixing the joists before installing faces so that all is square.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cabinets1.jpg.jpg
    cabinets1.jpg.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
  • cabinets2.jpg.jpg
    cabinets2.jpg.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 61
  • cabinets3.jpg.jpg
    cabinets3.jpg.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 61
What does it take to break a joist? holy cow! If your crawl space is like mine, I don't much like going down there. I tend to have to once a year to put a heat gun on the pipes that feed the kitchen....