problems with drilling end grain...

Dan Noren

Staff member
ok, this will be fun! looking to drill the insets and through holes on the pepper mills today. nothing but problems. 2 inch diameter forstner bit (used old one, and a new one), and it is like trying to drill iron. on the one ruined blank, the 7/8 inch forstner bit went through it like it wasn't there. now with the larger one, i am only trying to make a 1/4 inch deep inset for the grinding mechanism. on the last 2 batches, nice as could ever ask for, but this batch, like i said, like trying to drill though iron. the speed is only 380 rpm (i have tried ultra slow, and no difference). i'm beginning to think that i should hog out the almost 1/4 inch depth, then clean up with the larger bit.

on the drill press, worked very well on the last 2 batches, except for this one. started with the old bit, then bought a new bit, got the same results. going to wrap the one end, use jaws, and try on the lathe. only other way is to remove the waste, and give it another shot. smaller bit for through hole went through it like butter.

A plunge router would work provided you can secure the wood in a jig. Similar to mortising. Actually, it is a mortise, just round.