Search results

1. mike calabrese

IS BIG BROTHER COMING TO YOUR SHOP?

Government regulation will change woodworking forever from your garage to the largest users of table saws. I ma not taking any shots at SAWSTOP if you like one buy one but soon big brother will make you buy a SawStop or something just like it . This video hit YouTube less than one hour ago...
  2. mike calabrese

A nice turning wood

Finished this earlier this week. It is my first build using flame birch. I really really like the way the birch turns . Cuts well with carbides, easily to sand and takes a real nice finish. Turning the flame birch was just real easy and smooth going and kind of looks neat pattern wise with just...
  3. mike calabrese

FOAM CUSHIONS FOR COLE JAWS

Finally solved an issue trying to prevent chafing / marring a finished bowl mounted in Cole jaws. Working from an ordinary kids toy, a pool noodle simply cut a slice off the noodle about 1/2 in thick and place the donuts over the rubber inserts on the Cole jaws. The bowl edge nicely rests on...
  4. mike calabrese

The reality of being old

I WOULD RATHER BE A SHARPENER THAN A PENCIL The reality of being old mike calabrese55 3-23-2024 I often use the common pencil that has been around long enough to barely stick out of the sharpener far enough to be held. Somehow that thought evolved into an analogy of a pencil to life...
  5. mike calabrese

LATHE STEADY REST

Finished this up yesterday. Originally started out a a donut chuck for my lathe but I needed a steady rest for the vase I am trying to ruin now. The wheels are from an old pair of roller blade skates. They are very smooth running and had all the necessary fittings to mount to the support arms...
  6. mike calabrese

Having a go at another vase

Given my recent success with spinning things made of wood I may be getting out over my skis a bit with this one.. The pictures here are the current attempt to build a staved bowl. This is the lower portion only, 12 staves in maple, with sapele, maple and black veneer pieces. The plan is to...
  7. mike calabrese

CASTING MOLDS FOR BRACELETS

Been making some bracelets or I guess these are called bangles according to my wife. I have some in a gallery and the artist owner wants more. Normally the molds would be made out of silicone but I didn't have any silicone mold making stuff and didn't want to wait and I like creating a...
  8. mike calabrese

FINALLY FINISHED..............

Seemed like it took forever but it is finally done. Tomorrow it goes to a gallery and hopefully will be a Christmas gift for someone :santa: mike calabrese55
  9. mike calabrese

1 2 3 blocks

I bought a set of these blocks on a try and have used them far more that I thought ever would. Typically machinest blocks they measure 1 inch thick 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. They are available with drilled and threaded holes or solid / plane. They are great for setting fences square...
  10. mike calabrese

Finished this yesterday

Staved vase figured maple purpleheart and Aluminlite resin. Nine inches tall by 6 1/2 inches at widest. Several coats of Minwax wipe on poly. calabrese55 https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090682386822