McMinn Airport, Athens TN air show

Chuck Ellis

The wife read about these planes coming in to the McMinn airport last Wednesday... we couldn't get over to see them arrive, but went Thursday to take a look at them... two of these planes are the last ones still flying, but as usual.. I've forgotten which ones... The B24 (Witchcraft) is one of them I think and the other is one of the two seaters.. just don't remember which one..

The little red airplane was just taxing around... very quiet engine... I think it a stunt plane.... very small. about half the size of the two fighters.

Attachments

• Da Plane 001.JPG
    Da Plane 001.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Da Plane 004.JPG
    Da Plane 004.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Da Plane 010.JPG
    Da Plane 010.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Da Plane 008.JPG
    Da Plane 008.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Da Plane 019.JPG
    Da Plane 019.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Da Plane 017.JPG
    Da Plane 017.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Da Plane 027.JPG
    Da Plane 027.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Da Plane 023.JPG
    Da Plane 023.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Da Plane 033.JPG
    Da Plane 033.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Da Plane 035.JPG
    Da Plane 035.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 31
Those planes are great.!! I love air shows.
My son is in the Air Force and just before he went to Iraq he managed to get my wife and I a ride on a KC135 out of Pease AFB in New Hampshire. What a thrill that was. :D

The small red airplane is called a Pitts. It is designed for aerobatics. My hanger neighbor has one. He is about 6'2" and 230 pounds. It looks like a little clown airplane as he gets himself out of it. If he ever has to get out in a hurry he is going to have problems.

We went to the Reno Air Races this year for part of a day. Absolutely amazing! We'll be going back next year. The cool thing is you can get a pit pass that lets you get right up close to all of the planes...

We went to the Reno Air Races this year for part of a day. Absolutely amazing! We'll be going back next year. The cool thing is you can get a pit pass that lets you get right up close to all of the planes...

They were selling passes that would allow you actually climb into the planes, and for a nice fee, even take you up for a ride in the big planes and the two seater... none of which was in my budget.... I was satisfied just walking around the parameter and looking in awe...