Work Trailer

Added a cubby for the rolling part of my pack-out boxes to park in. Typically I've got most tools I need in it for working on things, so plan to keep using it.
2021-05-30 18.30.56.jpg

I ended up making a couple of slots and a lock bar to hold it during travel. I may store a small step stool/ladder in front of it.
2021-05-30 18.42.30.jpg 2021-05-30 18.42.47.jpg

I also added some horizontal partitions to some of the small tool cubbies to divide them up.
2021-05-30 18.30.45.jpg

Tomorrow I may work on getting the front bench built and a set of cubbies made for the rest of the pack-out boxes. The 12" miter saw I have doesn't fit the trailer very well. so may pickup a 10" if I can find one on sale.

You still need to add an outside fold down workbench with air and power.

Charley
Been thinking about that one, would be handy. I've got some folding, adjustable height saw horse that support some 2x4's for a top. Also a smaller folding Worxs table/bench I plan to keep in the trailer for working on.

It was 71* today, so I spent a little time reorganizing and cleaning up the trailer. Since our move it’s been sitting full of things I thought I’d need at the farm, but nothing put away. I got most of it put away, rewired my motion sensor to actually turn on the lights, and restocked the fastener drawer.

I need to build a new set of cubbies above my miter saw for a few new tools. I still need to build out the workbench in the front of the trailer. I also still need to add the stabilizers for using the rear door as a work platform.

I’m really happy with the solar setup, having the lighting has come in handy on these shorter days. I’m going to get a larger battery and inverter soon for keeping the cordless batteries charged.

I did pickup a Rigid job site table saw. I can’t say I’m entirely impressed with it. The bearings rattle, has some slop in the carriage, and burns the cuts badly. I think the rifing blade is pinching the wood and the fence is tapered towards the blade at the rear. I’ll spend some time tuning it where I can, but is a bit of a disappointment. Probably could use a better blade too.
7BA0A2CB-C43B-452E-A7D0-B703E03E570D.jpeg

Since the original plan was to use the trailer for hauling the tools and mower to the farm every few weeks, but we’re now at the farm full time, I may work on some additional cabinets where the mower would normally be sitting.

I have a contractor's saw, a Delta I think.... every time I move the fence, have to re-adjust the clearance at the far side of the saw... it does tend to taper a bit....
I know it's probably a major safety violation, but I found the riving blade to me more of a hindrance than a help and removed it... plus the saw table has become more of a catchall for blanks and cut-offs so the riving blade would be in the way of stacking stuff on it.... any time I want/need to use it I have to unload everything off the table.

I'll probably put a thin kerf blade on it anyway, so the riving blade may be too wide anyway.
I know when I had my ultra cheap Delta contractor saw a Freud thin kerf blade made a big difference. And I'll bet that fence on your Ridgid can be aligned better to clean up the cuts.

Consider how you load up the trailer, so it tows smoothly. Matching the trailer size to what your F150 can handle is smart thinking. The best approach is to scope out different setups and jot down what seems like it would fit your needs. I recently snagged a great deal on a used trailer from Boom and Bucket. They had some solid advice that helped me out. You should check their website: https://www.boomandbucke.com/equipment/trucks, it might be worth a peek at their site for some ideas, or you can even contact them. I am sure they will be happy to help you!

Last edited: