Seasonally appropriate firewood to icicle tree hanger

Next time you get into production mode Try turning some light enough for Xmas Tree decorations

I've tried to simulate some icicles for hanging on a tree but so far can't get them to look good and hollowed out to get them down below about 20grams.

Richard is certainly an accomplished Turner, one day he is doing a club demonstration, the next he could be in his workshop completing a massive architectural commission or furniture contract. Have called in his workshop on occasion to pick up supplies.

Interesting, I wasn’t sure what a good weight might be for such things as I've actually never hung a tree ornament. Challenge accepted I guess, at least to the sub 20g mark 😁 I had some trouble getting below 10, at least with the 8” to 8.5" long ones….

Try one and we're just right at 20g... so now we know what that looks like...

1702863855326.png

Try two and we hit 15g... getting there..

1702863950514.png

Try 3 and we're looking a bit better at 12g

1702864001870.png

Try 4 and I got down to 11g... I think the 12g one looks nicer... and the tip was starting to come apart on this one while i was turning it (I'd have to put a dab of CA on it to save it from the split if I wanted to save it..).

1702864033576.png

I'd think 11 or 12 grams is plenty light. 👍🏼

I just checked a few of my hollow ones and the lightest came in just under 21g, and it hangs like a feather in the tree. (My heaviest was around 28g, and it still hangs like it's not there.)

IMG_2269 - 600.jpg

I just checked a few of my hollow ones and the lightest came in just under 21g, and it hangs like a feather in the tree. (My heaviest was around 28g, and it still hangs like it's not there.)

I really wasn't sure - I've actually never hung an ornament so really had no idea what would be good or not, so it's useful to get some feedback from folks who have some experience with such things :)

I also had no real idea how heavy the first set were (two people reported they hung ok so all good I guess) as I had already disposed of them around to friends and the neighborhood. I suppose it would depend a lot on where you hung it on the tree, but could also see icicles wanting to be hung further out perhaps... in which case I think lighter would be better.