Rockwell 28-203 14" band saw.

John Pollman

Hi folks!
I have a 28-203 14" band saw with the riser. It's in very nice shape, but it has a 120V locking plug on it. I don't have a locking outlet, so I'm just gonna change out the plug to fire it up and see how she runs. The manual shows a standard open base woth the motor mounted toward the back with a cover over the belt. But this saw is on an enclosed base and the motor is mounted down in the enclosure. Everything looks great, but I noticed that the side of the motor mount nearest the pulley is missing a bushing or something. I can move the pulley back and forth and up and down a bit. I'm sure that if I took the pulley off and removed the retainer on the mount, I could reinstall the correct part. But I don't know where to find the part number to get the correct part. Any ideas?
Thanks!
BS4.jpgBS3.jpgBS2.jpgBS1.jpg

It's not going to be that simple to repair. You'll need to remove the motor; remove the pulley; then disassemble the motor to remove the end bells so you can access the bushings (I'd expect ball bearings instead of bushings, though).
It appears to be a TEFC motor, so you'll need to remove the fan housing and fan to get the end bells off.
At that point, the bearings/bushings should be easily removed and replaced.
You might be better off just taking the motor to a repair shop.

It's not going to be that simple to repair. You'll need to remove the motor; remove the pulley; then disassemble the motor to remove the end bells so you can access the bushings (I'd expect ball bearings instead of bushings, though).
It appears to be a TEFC motor, so you'll need to remove the fan housing and fan to get the end bells off.
At that point, the bearings/bushings should be easily removed and replaced.
You might be better off just taking the motor to a repair shop.
Actually, the motor should be fine. I just need to replace the hub rings. I'll take the motor out to do the job but I think that's all that is wrong. There's no play in the shaft at all, that's fine.

A few ideas that may or may not be mutually exclusive...

There's quite a bit of up adjustment on the motor mount on the side it appears. A belt that's an inch shorter might take up enough play to make it not a problem and if it was to short you could (I think..) adjust the motor mount up just a touch.

Would a rubber bumper under the retainer do the job? I'm thinking even something simple like a chunk of old tire cut to fit or some thick neoprene might be all you need. I'm not sure about using something really solid here based on my thoughts below...

It might also not be a real problem, it *kind of* looks like the motor weight might be used to tension the belt some. So if it's not slipping then it's probably fine. That's how my "I never actually got it to work because to much was broken and the rest was rusted solid and lets not even talk about what shape the motor was in" old lathe worked...

Ryan,

I think I'm gonna just pull the motor and check it out. I think you're right about the motor weight being used for belt tension. A set of hub rings is less than $20, so I'll pick up a set and drop them in.

She's all good to go.

I pulled the motor out and found that the hub ring on the pulley end of the shaft hadn't been put on far enough. The clamp was as tight, but the motor hub had slipped out of the ring. That's why the motor was shifting. I reinstalled the frame, tightened everything up, and put her back together. Gonna pick up a new plug tomorrow and she'll be good to go. No parts were needed.

Thanks for the input!