Ridgid Cordless Vac Model 3180, Mini Review

glenn bradley

Merry Christmas to me. I have another small Ridgid 18v cordless vac that isn't worth spit and so I was challenged to remain objective :). It weighs about 12 pounds and has a large comfortable handle. The included brush and nozzle hose ends fit in a built in storage compartment. It is a 3 gallon wet or dry unit.
Ridgid Cordless Medium (1).jpg

The battery is enclosed in the exhaust area and would only be exposed if you were using this as a blower.
Ridgid Cordless Medium (2).jpg

In typical Bradley fashion I add a 99-cent-Store nylon stocking as a pre-filter. I have these on my post Dust Deputy filter boxes and they have lasted for many years . . . for a buck.
Ridgid Cordless Medium (3).jpg

The included hose is 6' which works well for small jobs like cleaning up around machines. A nice feature here is that unlike so many small vacs this one will take the pretty-standard 1-7/8" hoses that other shop vacs use.
Ridgid Cordless Medium (4).jpg

It has this seemingly silly floor sweep port. When the hose is stored the vac suction is directed to this port. I set it on the floor and swept stuff toward it and was surprised that the feature actually seems to work.
Ridgid Cordless Medium (5).jpg

Ridgid Cordless Medium (6).jpg

I prefer a dust pan to emptying a vac barrel so I doubt I will use it much. It is shown being used like a powered dust pan but swinging around a 12 pound box that is only getting heavier the more you use it is an activity I left somewhere back in time :).

Final result: I used the vac to clean up around many machines and hard to reach areas in the shop. The suction is certainly adequate for this task and I have no complaints in the area of convenience versus power. I would give it a thumbs up. It is better than the corded 11amp Dirt Devil rolling tank vac from 1970 that I was using for this function. The Dirt Devil is smaller but doesn't store the hose and attachments at all so it is ungainly to store in the shop. Of course the filter is new and the bin is empty so I may pop in again later to give an update after use.

Congrats, that looks like a nice unit. :thumb: I've got the smaller of the two Hercules* 20v cordless vacs, and it's proven to be a real workhorse. I bought it as a bench vac to use on my guitar workbench, but have found I grab it for a variety of chores both at home and elsewhere.

*Harbor Freight has really stepped up their game with their Hercules line of power tools. They are trying to compete with Milwaukee and the other pro-level brands, and in my limited experience (with a vac and a 1/2" impact driver) they've gotten it right.