Resaw blades for a 14" bandsaw.

John Pollman

I've been using a 1/2 x 105 - 3 tpi blade to resaw 6" wide poplar. It's working pretty well, but I'm thinking about trying a 3/4 x 105 - 3 tpi instead. I want a good-quality blade and I'm wondering if it might be worth trying a 3 tpi skip-tooth. I have quite a bit of resawing to do.

Thoughts?

I have a couple of 17" saws. All my blades wider than 1/2" seem to just hang on the wall now. I have found that a well tuned saw and a 1/2" blade can resaw just about anything. Certainly variable tooth patterns and skip tooth blades can speed things up or smooth things out if there are difficulties. I run my blades at a lower tension than some use. I more or less follow the flutter method outlined on Suffolk Machinery's site. I've been doing it so long I may have morphed a bit over the years.

I'm running a 24" saw with blade choices from 1/4" to 1 1/2", and the half inch 3 tooth from Suffolk Machinery is my favorite. No problem resawing 12" stock. Also using the flutter technique for tension. You might peruse the Suffolk site for available options. I buy 10 blades at a time to get the discount and am still working on the last batch purchased many years ago, but it appears there are many more tooth configuration options available now. The 1/2" X 2/3VPC looks interesting.

A 3/4 inch Lenox Tri-Master carbide tipped blade will do a great job, and will last a very long time. A bit pricey, though.

A cheaper alternative would be a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, but it'll wear out a lot faster.

I run a Laguna Resaw King 1" on my 16"saw. It's not recommended for a smaller saw, but they also make a ¾" blade that can be used on your saw. VERY pricey, though.

I'm running a 24" saw with blade choices from 1/4" to 1 1/2", and the half inch 3 tooth from Suffolk Machinery is my favorite. No problem resawing 12" stock. Also using the flutter technique for tension. You might peruse the Suffolk site for available options. I buy 10 blades at a time to get the discount and am still working on the last batch purchased many years ago, but it appears there are many more tooth configuration options available now. The 1/2" X 2/3VPC looks interesting.
It looks like they stock that one at my Woodcraft. I'm gonna go talk to them tomorrow. I get conflicting opinions on the 3/4 but my manual says it will work. I have quite a bit of resawing to do. Maybe a 1/2" 3 tpi will work, but it might be worth trying a carbide for long life.

Thanks, guys!

Very cool!

I got opinions on both sides after asking about running a 3/4 3tpi x 105" blade on my Rockwell 28-203 saw, I made up my mind and headed to Woodcraft to pick up this blade. I came home and threw it on and adjusted everything. It works great! I'm resawing 4/4 x 6" poplar into 1/4" and running it through my 735 to take it down to 3/16. I'm then laminating four of them and bending them in my press to form chair backs.

Running my 1/2" 3tpi blade, I was getting three slices out of each 6x22 4/4 board. With this 3/4, I'm getting four and they cut like butter. Almost no waste!

Last edited: