Replacing drawer bottoms

Ria Bo

Hi, I wonder if anyone could offer some advice.
I want to replace the bottom of some drawers with something a little thicker. If I do this how would it be best to make the slots that the current boards go into wider to accommodate a thicker piece of mdf?
Thanks in advance!

I would taper or rabbet the edges of the new bottoms. That is; the old bottom is 1/4". The new bottom is 1/2". a taper or rabbet from 1/2" to 1/4" about 1" from the outer edge of the new bottom makes it fit the old slot without much loss of strength.

Attachments

• drawer bottom rabbet.jpg
    drawer bottom rabbet.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! How does one taper or rabbet? Would it be a plane or a sander? Apologies for my ignorance!

Thank you! How does one taper or rabbet? Would it be a plane or a sander? Apologies for my ignorance!
First of all, Welcome to the forum!

Since you said you're using MDF for the new bottoms, I'd do the tapering with a sander. A plane would be faster but if you use a plane the MDF will dull the blade quickly.
Tapering the MDF will also weaken the overall strength of the drawer bottom if you're planning on putting heavy items in the drawer. In that event you'd be better off using something stronger, like plywood, or else disassembling the whole drawer and widening the groove to accept the thicker stock.

Thank you! So would I better off tapering
I would NOT use MDF for a drawer bottom. Quality plywood would be my only choice for this. Moisture ands humidity do bad things to MDF.

Charley
First of all, Welcome to the forum!

Since you said you're using MDF for the new bottoms, I'd do the tapering with a sander. A plane would be faster but if you use a plane the MDF will dull the blade quickly.
Tapering the MDF will also weaken the overall strength of the drawer bottom if you're planning on putting heavy items in the drawer. In that event you'd be better off using something stronger, like plywood, or else disassembling the whole drawer and widening the groove to accept the thicker stock.
thank you! So if I were to use a thicker plywood would I be better off tapering the wood to fit the hole or widening the hole to fit the wood? I would guess the second, using an end plane rather than sanding?
Thanks again for your help!

I would NOT use MDF for a drawer bottom. Quality plywood would be my only choice for this. Moisture ands humidity do bad things to MDF. Quality plywood to fit the existing slots would likely last another Century, if the rest of the piece does.

Charley
Thank you, yes the current bottoms are mouldy in addition to sagging, so I will god for a plywood!