Photo Editors

Don Baer

Staff member
I am wondering what others are using for touching up photos ? My primary use if to touch up the picture such as lighten a part of the photo or to remove glare on a photo. Here is an example.

Untitled.png

two things I want to do that I can't do in lightburn. first get rid of the glare on the helmet and two lighten up the sunglasses, I can get rid of the shadow but even when I do that the dark glasses and the glare make it hard to laser engrave this photo.

I have an Adobe subscription for photoshop and lightroom. If you're looking for free, GIMP is very much like the old photoshop apps. Inkscape is another decent program for doing scalable graphics.

Same as Darren, I have the subscription for Photoshop and Lightroom. Both have some learning curve involved, but they can do some amazing stuff.

Adobe Photoshop - ELEMENTS - is cheap and has most of the stuff that full photoshop has.
It is amazing how powerful it really is.
Yep, I used Photoshop Elements for years and was happy with it. The package I got back then had Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements (for video editing). When I decided to step up my photo editing game and get the full Photoshop/Lightroom subscription, I felt that Premier Elements was good enough for the limited amount of video editing I do.

Yep, I used Photoshop Elements for years and was happy with it. The package I got back then had Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements (for video editing). When I decided to step up my photo editing game and get the full Photoshop/Lightroom subscription, I felt that Premier Elements was good enough for the limited amount of video editing I do.
I am in EXACTLY the same boat. I recently stepped up to an Adobe subscription for Photoshop. I have not yet tried Lightroom. I still use Adobe Prieier for video.

I really like Lightroom for when dumping hundreds of images from an sd card onto the computer. You really have to come up with a workflow for it that works for you. I try really hard to make sure to put the images into folders that make sense and to tag them with keywords that describe the pictures on import. After that you can go through them really easy and use some of the image rating and marking to figure out what images are worth keeping and which ones should be culled. After that point it's easy to do basic image improvement tasks like white balance, color tone, brightness, cropping, etc.

For things like the image Don shows, I'm not sure how to handle that in lightroom, but that seems more of a photoshop type task. Gimp can do a lot of what photoshop does, but since I subscribed to adobe, I find in general photoshop makes it a bit easier and there are more resources for help on the internet with PS as opposed to gimp.

I now use Affinity, having had a significant "Falling Out" with Adobe 4 years ago. I've been one of Adobe's customers since 1998, but they didn't care. Affinity Photo is much like Photoshop, so I was able to learn most of it relatively quickly. For a Lightroom alternative, I tried Capture 1, but then tried the free software from Canon that I could download because of owning Canon cameras, and found that the Canon version was very much like Lightroom and Capture 1, so I've stayed with it. Affinity Photo costs $100 when not on sale. It's a one time charge and comes with free upgrades, sent by email to you. It does not require a constant internet connection to be able to use it, and they don't dip into your wallet every month for it.

Charley