Musclechuck - First Impressions

glenn bradley

As promised here is the initial setup of the Musclechuck quick change router chuck. This is on a Milwaukee 5625 router (Musclechuck Type 10) in a Woodpecker PRL version 1 router lift.
The instructions are microscopic in order to fit in the little package. I scanned the 3" x 4" square and blew it up to 8-1/2 x 11 for easier reading. The included instructions do not discuss setting a baseline prior to installation but many online sources do. I did not bother with a dial indicator to compare run out . . . yet. I tend to follow the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" philosophy. The router, lift, and chucks I have been using have been flawless for many years so I am going to assume I have a "good" starting point.

I took the opportunity to clean the arbor and surrounding areas. I put the chuck on and tightened it as instructed. I set the router to full speed (22k RPM) and fire it up. I let it run a while and set my hand on the table, plate, etc. to get a feel for the level of normal vibration.
Musclechuck (1).jpg
I add a long straight bit and repeat.
Musclechuck (2).jpg
All seems the same. I set up a fence and make a cut to check for any washboarding, etc.
Musclechuck (3).jpg
Looking good.
Musclechuck (4).jpg
I repeat the test with a 3/8" reducer / bit and with a 1/4" reducer / bit.
Musclechuck (5).jpg

Musclechuck (6).jpg
All results seems nominal. In short the chuck seems to behave just like the stock chuck. The main difference is that I normally don't use reducers for 1/4" bits but adding a reducer and removing it is about the same as swapping from a 1/2" to 1/4" collet and back so that is moot. If I had experienced increased vibration / run out the instructions outline a procedure to eliminate that.