MP-4 on WIN 11 - calling the geek squad

Don Baer

Staff member
OK I tried to play some video I shot with my drone which saves them as an MP-4 file. They will play fine on my win 10 machine but it seems Microsoft in their wisdom has decided that no on e would want to play MP-4 files in win 11... the error says I have the wrong codex (what ever that is)... HELP

Not a geek, but several solutions found on the web. Have you tried this ?:
On the Tools menu, select Options. Select the Player tab, select the Download codecs automatically check box, and then select OK. Try to play the file.

OK, I do remember finding a player that could play the vids but that was last summer and I still had my older i7 early gen with Win10. I did find a player, there are several choices but I do not remember what I ended up with. I now have my new HP gaming super computer with win11 and have the same issue. No Codec.

I can load the drone vid into Adobe Elements Premier that I use for video editing and it plays the drone video, edits and can be saved in a variety of formats that can be uploaded to youtube.

Another VLC guy. Another benefit is that you can use it on Windows and unix so you can have a common look and feel across OS.