LATHE STEADY REST

Finished this up yesterday. Originally started out a a donut chuck for my lathe but I needed a steady rest for the vase I am trying to ruin now. The wheels are from an old pair of roller blade skates. They are very smooth running and had all the necessary fittings to mount to the support arms. Suggest if you are thinking about a steady rest build pick up a pair if roller blade skates just for the wheels. Construction is plywood, oak and ash construction virtually all repurposed materials.
mike calabrese55

Attachments

• DSCF4397.JPG
    DSCF4397.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4390.JPG
    DSCF4390.JPG
    475.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4391.JPG
    DSCF4391.JPG
    436 KB · Views: 22
Looks pretty nice!

I've wanted to build one of the plumbing flange variants (more clearance.. cause.. yeah.. hah) for a while but haven't found a project that was motivating enough to do so yet.

Hi Mike, This is on my to do list. I actually went "shopping" last week for used rollerblades at all my local thrift stores but have not come across a good cheap pair just yet. I'm sure I'll find some eventually. I like the extra "beefier" mounts you have at the arm positions. How does it run? Smooth?

Looks good, Mike. :thumb:

When I made my first steady rest I was unable to find any used rollerblades, but I was able to buy a set of 8 wheels on Amazon for under $20.

Looks pretty nice!

I've wanted to build one of the plumbing flange variants (more clearance.. cause.. yeah.. hah) for a while but haven't found a project that was motivating enough to do so yet.
Hi Ryan,
I was kind of in the same slow boat on making this also but it cost me a couple nasty catches...................so well you know o_O
mike calabrese55

Looks good, Mike. :thumb:

When I made my first steady rest I was unable to find any used rollerblades, but I was able to buy a set of 8 wheels on Amazon for under $20.
Hi Vaughn
I had these blades for years thinking I would use them as a hold down spring loaded feeder for my table saw but the size 10 boots didn't fot too well on top of my table saw :eek:
Thanks as always for looking in.
mike calabrese55

Hi Mike, This is on my to do list. I actually went "shopping" last week for used rollerblades at all my local thrift stores but have not come across a good cheap pair just yet. I'm sure I'll find some eventually. I like the extra "beefier" mounts you have at the arm positions. How does it run? Smooth?
Hi Tom
yes they run very smooth . I did as you note build them a little over the top and I think that contributes a bunch to the smoooooooth factor.
Thanks for your question.
mike calabrese55