I've graduated

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
From "the guy the neighbors dogs bark at" to "The guy with cookies in his pocket".

Yesterday, drove my quad up to chat with the neighbors and their dogs started eyeing me weird and barking, till they learned my pocket was stuffed with dog cookies....

Today, went back up for a minute, and they remembered, lol. Much cookie chomping ensued.

When I was delivering clothes for the dry cleaning company, I made it a point to have some dog cookies on hand for a few of the dogs on my route. I'd say the majority didn't need them because they knew they were going to get some attention and scritches. One in particular, a 90 pound golden doodle named Charlie was absolutely THRILLED when I'd show up. He'd bark and jump up and down as soon as my truck pulled into the driveway. I always had to give him some loving to calm him down before I could open the gate to drop off the clothes. He liked to lightly gnaw on my hands and wrists as I reached over the gate to greet him. One day as he was doing it I was chatting with his owner. I mentioned that some people would be concerned about having a dog his size grabbing them with his mouth, but it was pretty easy to tell he was doing it out of sheer joy. :D

When I was delivering clothes for the dry cleaning company, I made it a point to have some dog cookies on hand for a few of the dogs on my route. I'd say the majority didn't need them because they knew they were going to get some attention and scritches. One in particular, a 90 pound golden doodle named Charlie was absolutely THRILLED when I'd show up. He'd bark and jump up and down as soon as my truck pulled into the driveway. I always had to give him some loving to calm him down before I could open the gate to drop off the clothes. He liked to lightly gnaw on my hands and wrists as I reached over the gate to greet him. One day as he was doing it I was chatting with his owner. I mentioned that some people would be concerned about having a dog his size grabbing them with his mouth, but it was pretty easy to tell he was doing it out of sheer joy. :D
I wish I had been smart enough to do the same when I had a part time job as a driver for a laundry company.

There was an old man on my route who insisted that I drop off his laundry on the back porch. He had a couple of hooks on the wall that were for that purpose. His backyard was fenced and accessible from a gate that opened for access to the street. He lived on the corner.

So I go bee-bopping with some laundry in my hand from the truck into the backyard and about halfway between the gate and the porch one Doberman comes around the left side of the house and another Doberman comes around the right side of the house. There was no way I could make it back to the truck in time and I was not very good at climbing trees.

Luckily there was a leaf rake leaning against a big oak tree in the backyard. I picked it up and started waving it frantically at the dogs while screaming for someone to rescue me. I figured I was about to be chewed up and spit out. I was almost out of energy swinging at those dogs when the back door opened and the old man called the dogs into the house. He apologized profusely and said he had forgotten it was delivery day as he kept the dogs inside on delivery day.

I don't know if a pocketful of dog biscuits would have saved me or not because those dogs looked like the kind that ate raw meat and lots of it.:(

C'mon Mike, they just wanted to play, lol. One of my regular stops was a house on the edge of town on about an acre of land. The people who lived there were never home when I delivered, and my instructions were to drop off the clean clothes and pick up the bag of dirty ones in the garage. They left the side door unlocked. These folks had a large Husky and an even larger German Shepherd and an invisible fence to keep them on the property. The first time I showed up they charged and I didn't quite know what to think until the Husky grabbed a toy and started bouncing around wanting me to play. From then on, every time I'd pull onto the property the Husky would start frantically looking around for a toy to play with. I made it a point to always bring the two of them some cookies and pet and play with them both because it quickly became clear that they were starved for attention. Another place had a large Pit Bull cross that was much the same way. He'd come on strong and quickly turn into a big puppy once he realized I'd give him some enthusiastic attention.

C'mon Mike, they just wanted to play, lol. One of my regular stops was a house on the edge of town on about an acre of land. The people who lived there were never home when I delivered, and my instructions were to drop off the clean clothes and pick up the bag of dirty ones in the garage. They left the side door unlocked. These folks had a large Husky and an even larger German Shepherd and an invisible fence to keep them on the property. The first time I showed up they charged and I didn't quite know what to think until the Husky grabbed a toy and started bouncing around wanting me to play. From then on, every time I'd pull onto the property the Husky would start frantically looking around for a toy to play with. I made it a point to always bring the two of them some cookies and pet and play with them both because it quickly became clear that they were starved for attention. Another place had a large Pit Bull cross that was much the same way. He'd come on strong and quickly turn into a big puppy once he realized I'd give him some enthusiastic attention.
Yeah, I was afraid they wanted to play and I was not in the mood for them to play "hide the fat boy's body in a hole behind the shrubbery".

Mike if you come to my shop Buddy and Johnny would coming running at you barking like your going to get bit. The all of a sudden they turn into locking machine's. All the delivery drivers Carry treets. It's just good practice To keep a baggy of treats handy.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love dogs. I just don't care for being mistaken for a doggy treat.

I have scars on my right leg from where a dog latched onto my thigh while I was riding a bicycle when I was 10. I remember it vividly. He came out of nowhere silently and without any warning. Never saw him or heard him until he bit me. :cry:

a dog latched onto my thigh while I was riding a bicycle when I was 10.

When I was about 15 or so I used to ride my bike down a dirt road past a neighboring farm that had a bunch of cattle dogs on it (mostly blue heelers who are thick headed, bitey, and can't easily be reasoned with). They'd come out and try to bite my heels when I went by. I played that game once, and the next time I had a pocket of rocks and my slingshot with me. When they came running out they were met by a hail of projectiles. Every time after that when I went by they'd run out, get within about 50', see it was me, and then get all nonchalant "we weren't doing nothin, just... uh.. walking around. we cool.." and wander back to the farmhouse.

I do still have a pretty decent puncture scar on my hand from where a cantankerous old pup latched onto me when I was 9 or so.

When I was about 15 or so I used to ride my bike down a dirt road past a neighboring farm that had a bunch of cattle dogs on it (mostly blue heelers who are thick headed, bitey, and can't easily be reasoned with). They'd come out and try to bite my heels when I went by. I played that game once, and the next time I had a pocket of rocks and my slingshot with me. When they came running out they were met by a hail of projectiles. Every time after that when I went by they'd run out, get within about 50', see it was me, and then get all nonchalant "we weren't doing nothin, just... uh.. walking around. we cool.." and wander back to the farmhouse.

I do still have a pretty decent puncture scar on my hand from where a cantankerous old pup latched onto me when I was 9 or so.
I started carrying old D cell batteries in my basket. They are an excellent deterrent. They make quite a thud when hitting a body.

Right side tush scar when I was 12 or so from a nasty german shepherd that had lived it's life on a chain. He got loose somehow and decided me riding my bike on the dirt road past his farm was not a permitted activity. I bravely rode up to the farm house and told the lady that answered the door about the bite. She wanted to see, but I was a bit shy about dropping my drawers in front of strange ladies, a shyness I overcame later in life.

Years ago I was talking to an elderly man about some horse equipment. He asked me my name about 1/2 hour into our discussion (I had introduced myself at the beginning) and I told him my name who my dad was and he changed expressions and asked if Bud was my grandfather. I said yes, he exclaimed angrily, "your grandfather was an outlaw!!!" I asked dad about it later and he told me that grandpa was a herdsman and this guy's family dairy was between where Grandpa lived and he had to walk to the dairy. Well this old guy I was talking to was a teenager and would sic his dog on my Grandpa. Dad thought it happened about 4 times, 5th time Grandpa shot the dog dead. End of story. Yep, my Grandfather the outlaw!!! I do admit to feeling proud of him.

Years ago I was talking to an elderly man about some horse equipment. He asked me my name about 1/2 hour into our discussion (I had introduced myself at the beginning) and I told him my name who my dad was and he changed expressions and asked if Bud was my grandfather. I said yes, he exclaimed angrily, "your grandfather was an outlaw!!!" I asked dad about it later and he told me that grandpa was a herdsman and this guy's family dairy was between where Grandpa lived and he had to walk to the dairy. Well this old guy I was talking to was a teenager and would sic his dog on my Grandpa. Dad thought it happened about 4 times, 5th time Grandpa shot the dog dead. End of story. Yep, my Grandfather the outlaw!!! I do admit to feeling proud of him.
Gotta love random historical encounters!

Gotta love random historical encounters!
The 2nd The time wasn't enough. Grandpa had tolerance, must of been a kind sole.

Only thing I've ever been bitten by was a sniper, small one but still mean enough to latch onto my left hand middle finger when I was 6 or 7. Still have the scar as a reminder. Look before to reach.

Meanest little dog I ever saw was a Pomeranian that belonged to my aunt and uncle. Every time we visited when I was a child/teenager that little dog tried to bite me. The little monster would hide under the couch and sneak out and nip me on the back of my ankle. I am not sure why that dog hated me so because I truly do love dogs.

Another aunt never had children but she sure had Bassett hounds. Most of my life she had at the bare minimum three and most of the time four big slobbering, drooling, slavering, salivating, dribbling, driveling Bassett hounds that were as friendly as you could ever want a dog to be. But goodness gracious when they came around you they slobbered and drooled all over you. They always barked when we first walked in the door and then they would come over and drool all over you.

Other people's dogs are the problem... :giggle: