Hockey Wrap for Clamp Handles

glenn bradley

I crave your pardon if you actually use this method in a sports situation since I may be murdering it :D. I have had a few folks comment on the tape-wrap for my clamp handles so here you go (many YT videos of professionals doing this better than I do).

Tag the tape to the handle and spin the roll to create a "rope".
Hockey-wrap (1).jpg
Wind the rope around the handle in a spiral from the tag to the opposite end.
Hockey-wrap (2).jpg
Cover the rope spiral in flat tape (this is one continuous run of tape).
Hockey-wrap (3).jpg
Complete the covering operation and wind back a wrap or two before cutting off from the roll.
Hockey-wrap (4).jpg
Ta-Da!
Hockey-wrap (5).jpg

I've used hockey stick tape for a bunch of things, it's great stuff!

It worked really well on my broadfork's (treadlite) metal handles to make them more comfortable.

I like you're trick of texturing it to make it easier to turn, that could also work on some other similar kinds of handles as well....

I guess that I must have come from a poor family of electrical workers. They saved the short ends of what was called "Friction Tape". Left over partial rolls from jobs, and brought these short partial rolls home for uses like Hockey Stick and clamp handles. When freshly wrapped, the handles were sometimes very sticky, but a little talc sprinkled on the wrapped handle and rubbed in took away the severe stickiness. I never looked for, or even realized that there was a special tape for this.

Charley