Hand Saw Sharpening: Getting Methodical

Bill Satko

Yesterday I sharpened my 26" Disston D8 5-1/2 tpi rip saw, LN 9" dovetail saw and LN 14" cross cut tenon saw. The process made me realize that I need to be more systematic in my approach. Because I am not sharpening that often I tend to forget how the saw was last sharpened. Things like how it was filed last time including what rake, fleam or slope was used. Slope is easy because up to now I have not intentionally put any slope into my filing. Also it would be nice to know when was the last time I set the teeth. Sure, even though a test cut after sharpening will indicate whether setting the teeth is needed or even measuring the existing set, it would be nice to know the history.

I found I was spending too much time trying to figure out some of these parameters. Even things like what size file should I be using. So I decided to keep a sharpening diary which will include everything I know about the saw when I got it and detail what I did at each sharpening. Below is an example for my dovetail saw. I think it does a good job of explaining what I mean. Looking at the picture I noticed that I did not indicate what size file I used. I need to add that. Also below that is some pics of my sharpening process and results.

And yes that is snow out the window. About 4" of light fluffy stuff. Still snowing now.

1701623258355.png

1701623399266.png

1701623490335.png

1701623620728.png

1701623696219.png

1701623756995.png

Last edited:
Interesting. Reminds me, my father had a hand crank saw sharpener. It was already very old when I was a child. But, it was a cleverly designed tool that did the job well. Of all the tools I got from him that was not in the bunch. I sharpen my saws by taking them to the disabled guy up the road who does it professionally and does it well for a few dollars.