Friday 4/19/24 GOOD MORNING FWC

It has been a wonderful week here without deluges and temperatures that were perfect. Warm enough to wear shorts to the shop a couple of days.

Speaking of the shop I have been turning small footed vases for an article. I used to turn quite a few of these little vases which were good sellers. Ladies liked them. No pictures yet.

The boss lady is going away for the weekend on needlepoint business. That leaves me to fend for myself. Unsupervised I will end up spending a lot of money at the grocery store. Of course, these days it is easy to spend a lot of money at the grocery store.

Almost forgot... we had a guy come out to give us an estimate for some stair rails on our front steps and for the steps from the garage into the house. There are four brick steps on the front and three from the garage. The front steps will also have four feet of rails to the left and right on the porch. The front steps were to be made from cast aluminum and the garage steps will be steel. Received the estimate Wednesday. I almost needed to go to the hospital from the shock. They wanted $5435 for this job. I don't know about you but that seems extraordinarily high to me. We need the rails for ourselves and for guests since most of the people who come to visit are our age or older. We don't bound up and down the stairs the we way we used to. I am more in need of the rails than my wife because my balance is not what it should be.

Gotta find some cheaper alternative but I am not looking for crap to be installed.

Is it Friday already? Seems it was just Monday yesterday. Plan on mowing this morning if the weather holds. Started yesterday and high winds almost blew me off the mower. Had problems with mower, found a few loose connections that seems to resolved problems. May be in market for new mower as this one is 13 years old. Been a pretty good mower but time does tell. Possible looking at zero turn mower, but they certainly are pricey. LOML looked at me with a scowl when I mentioned that tidbit, so maybe not! Have to start greenhouse shopping for flowers and such. It has warmed up enough to start decorating with some color. I'm ready for spring.
Everyone have have a safe and healthy weekend and more.
David

We're celebrating the grandsons 10th birthday this weekend, other than that just some yard word, maybe get some seeds started for the greenhouse since no other trips are planned for a while and I can actually attend to them. I'm waiting on parts for the mauser side project, but may do another boil to convert more rust and clean up the parts a bit more after brushing them all down last night.

Mostly garden stuff. My seed starts were a failure, so will have to start over. The little mom and pop garden center where I always buy vege starts has closed because the pop has dementia and is being cared for at home by the mom. A sad situation. Thinking of buying a couple of metal raised bed planters to replace a wood sided one that finally rotted out after fifteen years. Might pull a couple packages of top round out of the freezer to slice up for jerky with my new slicer. Lots of projects going on. Busy is good. Stay safe folks.

Thinking of buying a couple of metal raised bed planters to replace a wood sided one that finally rotted out after fifteen years.
I replaced the blue barrels in my greenhouse with a couple of them. I did some of the heavy weed fabric in the bottom and dumped the blue barrels into them. I've since added more soil on top and have them ready to use.
IMG_0834.jpeg
I need to get a shorter one for this end to replace the strawberry barrels.

What a week and last week! Feeling better. Bought 4 calves for grandkids 4H Dairy Beef Program and then we sell them for freezer beef at the end of the second year. In the past, have purchased them anywhere from $50.00 to 200.00 each. Current price, $1,100.00 each!!! Yikes! The dairy farmer we buy from is an old student of mine, we moved to younger calves and he gave me a break (the kids and I have agreed to help vaccinate, dehorn and castrate 2 groups of calves for him this summer) and that moved the price to $600.00 each. Dang gone, the moths will fly out of my billfold paying that!!!!
Youth turkey season this weekend so am on call to help Tess and Audrey skin out the legs and breast if she gets a Tom. Otherwise, have about 6 trees marked to be cut down before they get any bigger leaves on them. Then just putter around the house. You all stay healthy and safe this coming week.

What a week and last week! Feeling better. Bought 4 calves for grandkids 4H Dairy Beef Program and then we sell them for freezer beef at the end of the second year. In the past, have purchased them anywhere from $50.00 to 200.00 each. Current price, $1,100.00 each!!! Yikes! The dairy farmer we buy from is an old student of mine, we moved to younger calves and he gave me a break (the kids and I have agreed to help vaccinate, dehorn and castrate 2 groups of calves for him this summer) and that moved the price to $600.00 each. Dang gone, the moths will fly out of my billfold paying that!!!!
Youth turkey season this weekend so am on call to help Tess and Audrey skin out the legs and breast if she gets a Tom. Otherwise, have about 6 trees marked to be cut down before they get any bigger leaves on them. Then just putter around the house. You all stay healthy and safe this coming week.
Jon, I've cooked the legs. What's your recommendation?

Jon, I've cooked the legs. What's your recommendation?

Think of bologna sandwich spread. Mom boils the legs and then cooks the meat and grinds it with pickles, hard boiled eggs,, Miracle whip and I don't remember what else. Makes a great sandwich spread on either bread or crackers. Otherwise, the legs, I don't care for them as drumsticks.

Think of bologna sandwich spread. Mom boils the legs and then cooks the meat and grinds it with pickles, hard boiled eggs,, Miracle whip and I don't remember what else. Makes a great sandwich spread on either bread or crackers. Otherwise, the legs, I don't care for them as drumsticks.
Sounds good. I was thinking Crock Pot. Making BBQ. Need to get the tendons separated22 pounder opening g day in MD.
Jon had 5 Tom's answering everything from yelps to Hay You ! Lol

Attachments

• 20240418_105941.jpg
    20240418_105941.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240418_095207.jpg
    20240418_095207.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 1
I've got a whole raft of chores to get done today in preparation for a CCW class I'm teaching tomorrow. (Clean the house, set up tables in the living room, go to the store to buy snacks, etc.)

I also need to swing by the local hardwood store to see about getting some more red oak purchased, resawn, and planed to 3/8" thick to re-do a piece I messed up yesterday on a project for a friend. :bang: This piece is about 6 1/2" wide x 93" long. I installed it a couple of months ago in her kitchen, and was drilling the 3 1/2" holes for some puck lights. On the very first of four holes, I measured wrong and ended up off-center because I'm an idiot who should not own tools, lol. There really isn't a good fix except for total replacement, so I'll be doing that sometime next week.

Sunday is Range Day with my shooting club. I incorporate the range training and shooting qualification part of my CCW classes into club Range Days, so I'll be spending a bit more one-on-one time with the students than I normally need to do with my regular club members. Weather forecast is looking favorable, with an 97% chance of sunburn if I forget to use sunscreen. :D

well, as the expression goes, I was in total indian giver mode, had to get back some of the birdhouses from relatives so my daughter can have them for fund raising. noone was upset, one friend, my niece, a nephew and my son. promised them all I will make them new ones. they understood.
only one was hung so far, so I had it and p;ut another coat of deck sealant on it to freshen it up.
I also put hangers on them all.

I couldnt convince elen to pack early and leave today. we are headed out in the morning to northern philly area for some fun and relaxation. then headed to lancaster pa area monday late and the kids and grandkids are coming to meet us there tuesday am. dutchwonderland, sturgis pretzel house, stroudsburg railroad, choo choo barn, and some amish buffets and knowing my grandson, pretzels chocolate and candy.

Im being careful what I eat, not fun, but I cant deal with the digestive issues lately. been ok for the past 2 or 3 days,

considered leaving shortly, but since its spring break for most schools around here, the weekend getaways have started and I dont feel like sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours for a 90 minute ride.

everyone have a good week.

spending the week end with a very special lady. I drove up to her place yesterday in Flagstaff yesterday, Today after a leisurely morning we drove up to Las Vegas We are getting ready to head over to the Mirage to catch the Cirque du Soleil show "Love" at the Mirage, which is based on the Beatle Music. Pam is a BIG Beatles Fan. Tomorrow we will head over to Laughlin and catch a Show with "Willie Nelson" we both enjoy country western music and seeing the old fart in person will be a treat then we will head back to Flagstaff for a little alone time. Ya'll have a great week end.

well, as the expression goes, I was in total indian giver mode, had to get back some of the birdhouses from relatives so my daughter can have them for fund raising. noone was upset, one friend, my niece, a nephew and my son. promised them all I will make them new ones. they understood.
only one was hung so far, so I had it and p;ut another coat of deck sealant on it to freshen it up.
I also put hangers on them all.

I couldnt convince elen to pack early and leave today. we are headed out in the morning to northern philly area for some fun and relaxation. then headed to lancaster pa area monday late and the kids and grandkids are coming to meet us there tuesday am. dutchwonderland, sturgis pretzel house, stroudsburg railroad, choo choo barn, and some amish buffets and knowing my grandson, pretzels chocolate and candy.

Im being careful what I eat, not fun, but I cant deal with the digestive issues lately. been ok for the past 2 or 3 days,

considered leaving shortly, but since its spring break for most schools around here, the weekend getaways have started and I dont feel like sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours for a 90 minute ride.

everyone have a good week.
Well the 2.5 days in valley forge turned out great
I played a bit and won enough to cover this trip and most of our summer trip

My grandson has been reminding me for weeks about the choochoo train we are going to go on
Strousberg railroad
He was so excited today
Was jumping running like a kid possessed
We got there he was in awe of the giant trains etc

And then we got on for a ride
10 minutes later
He had pooped himself out
The little engine that could couldn't anymore

I took him into a candy shop and let him taste rock candy first time in hisnlife
He hasn't put it down

I had to take a little scolding from my daughter but she doesn't remember I let her have it also when she was his age
No harm done

Attachments

• IMG_9651.jpeg
    IMG_9651.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 7
My grandson has been reminding me for weeks about the choochoo train we are going to go on
Stroudsburg railroad
He was so excited today
Was jumping running like a kid possessed
We got there he was in awe of the giant trains etc
That area of PA was a favorite place for Linda and I to do mini-vacations. The PA train museum is great too.