DC Bin Overflow

glenn bradley

Many of you know I am lucky enough to be able to exhaust my DC outside.
DC Overfill (1).jpg
I was out back fooling around and passed by the DC bump-out on the way back to the house. I noticed the tell tale saw dust on the ground.

DC Overfill (2).jpg
This means only one thing . . .
Oops!
DC Overfill (3).jpg
Back in the day this would have meant a full stop in the shop, removal of the cyclone filter and some serious vacuuming. In the current shop it just means I am a bonehead and should have checked the bin a week ago.

I have played around with different methods of indicators; optical, physical paddles, etc. When I built the new shop I decided to bypass that problem. If the bin is full the spoil just blows right by and goes out the exhaust pipe. I usually detect the bin level based on things not getting sucked up as well as they should. Other times it is due to me seeing the spoil blowing out on the ground :unsure:

I see how this works, but (forgive my ignorance) what do you hook it up to so it will sound an alarm? :huh:

It's a 5v sensor, so using a 5v buzzer, like these: https://www.amazon.com/WEICHUANG-Active-Electronic-Buzzer-Continous/dp/B08SL2HH65

The sensor wires are as follows:

Brown ---- "+"
Blue ---- "-"
Black ---- Signal

So off your power source (wall wart) 5v + to the Brown wire of the sensor.

Connect 5v - (negative from power source) to the Blue wire of the sensor and Black wire of the buzzer.

Connect the Signal/Black wire of the sensor to the red wire of the buzzer.

Now I'm not saying that dust won't interfere with the sensor sometimes, which is why I might prefer a light over a buzzer. ;)